We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What part of Jamaica is recommended

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
What part of Jamaica is recommended

What parts of Jamaica. Like theres Montego Bay, Negril etc.

what is the most scenic part to stay in for a first timer on own to Jamaica.

Has the most affordable resorts etc.

I like to know where to focus range on to for jamaica

Fort Gaines, Ga.
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What part of Jamaica is recommended

Ocho Rios is the best for first timers !!!

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,178 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What part of Jamaica is recommended

I think you can find affordable resorts in all locations. What location is best for you depends on what you want from your trip. Looking to do more excursions, then Ocho Rios, want to be close to the airport, then Montego Bay, if Beach is a priority then Negril. I think all 3 choices can be scenic, with Montego Bay being the least scenic ( because it is a city).

Ohio
Level Contributor
579 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What part of Jamaica is recommended

That depends on your preference...a bit more details can help. Although my top pick is Negril other places such as Mobay and ocho rios has their own beauty unique to their own.

Jamaica
Level Contributor
200 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What part of Jamaica is recommended

The most scenic part of the three would be Ocho Rios which is located in Jamaica's garden parish of St. Ann. It's is so called because you are surrounded by green vegetation and several waterfalls.

More afford places to stay would be Negril with the longest stretch of beach. Resorts tend to be more expensive than Montego Bay or Ocho Rios. The beaches in Ocho Rios are mostly paid or private access not so in Negril. There are more issues with beach hustlers, so be aware.

If you stay in Montego Bay, a day trip to Negril is only 90 minutes and 2 hours to Ocho Rios. You could have the best of all worlds with mid-range resorts. You won't feels as if you have paid so much, therefore you can't afford to leave.

JUST giving you my take!

Edited: 16 January 2012, 18:22
Jamaica
Level Contributor
200 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What part of Jamaica is recommended

Negril has many affordable Room Only options and places to eat, from the hassle of the beach to the serenity of the cliffs. I find the beaches on the northcoast, closer to Ocho Rios, to be lovely just not as long. You will have to return to your starting point quicker but do so in peace:-)

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What part of Jamaica is recommended

now i am confused.

Where in Jamaica would be the best central spot. REally If i were to stay at a resort, i prefer a nice beach there or short walking distance.

i like to be away from any touts and beggars?

So i am confused.

I think I like to stay away from Montego Bay. as its more industrial?

I am looking at a trip to Jamaica for 4 to 5 days in Middle of May, never been to Caribbean, considering doing a solo resort trip etc.

But I like to stay away from where all the big cruise ships park and stay away from areas overrun by the tourists.

What areas of Jamaica would be best, i heard that Montego bay is more of a city and just all touristy?

what bout Negril and Oco rios?

also regarding the resorts in Jamaica , seems that is where people go to?

Does Jamaica have any simple hostels etc.

What areas are best for hostels or what hostels would be recommended?

thanks

Edited: 16 January 2012, 18:33
Jamaica
Level Contributor
200 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What part of Jamaica is recommended

"i like to be away from any touts and beggars?"

Jamaica is 1000 percent out with this requirement!

"Does Jamaica have any simple hostels etc."

Negril has places that would be close cheap/very affordable.

"I am looking at a trip to Jamaica for 4 to 5 days"

With only 4 or 5 days, Montego Bay would be your best bet to avoid time wasted on getting to and from the airport.

Negril, Ocho Rios and Montego bay are the toursit meccas of Jamaica. They provide the things in a developing country that make vacationing enjoyable, unless you fancy peeing behind a tree:-) You are a toursit, so are you looking to experience 3rd world living for 4-5 days?

www.negril.com - a very good site

Edited: 16 January 2012, 19:26
Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,005 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What part of Jamaica is recommended

""i like to be away from any touts and beggars?"

Jamaica is 1000 percent out with this requirement!"

No it isn't. Go to Treasure Beach, or Duncans, or Portland, and you will not have any problem. That's very much a Negril/Ochi/MoBay thing.

Treasure Beach might fit the bill for you since there ARE simple almost-hotels there, the area is very laid back and quiet and safe, tours/beggars are virtually unheard of, it is walkable and friendly. The beaches are darker sand, if that's a problem it is, to me, very minor when compared to all the benefits of the area.

Jamaica
Level Contributor
200 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What part of Jamaica is recommended

"No it isn't. Go to Treasure Beach, or Duncans, or Portland, and you will not have any problem. That's very much a Negril/Ochi/MoBay thing."

Thank you Ohliz, I stand corrected. However I was addressing the places the OP mentioned and most familiar with most first time visitors. Still for a 4-5 days trip to Jamaica, I would stick closer to the airport. Now I will go and check out Treasure Beach and a few others to be away from it all:-)

OP- what is your budget and will those 4-5 days include travel?

10. Re: What part of Jamaica is recommended

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2013, 10:19