We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to the Caribbean

Minnesota
Level Contributor
6 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to the Caribbean

I am planning to take my wife to the Caribbean for the firs time. I have never been outside the continental US. Is jamaica my best choice? We want a great beach, food, and romance. Some tourist don't bother us, some shopping would be nice. Actvities aren't the priority but it would be nice to have it as a break from doing nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,529 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to the Caribbean

I would check out Negil. It has everything you are seeking in your post. All inclusive or non AI??

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to the Caribbean

St. Lucia blows Jamaica away!

Noblesville, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to the Caribbean

Jamaica may be alittle culture shocking to you if you have never been outside the US.....Its a nice place but to a newbe it may be overwhelming...Might try the Bahamas or Grand Cayman first

Minnesota
Level Contributor
6 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to the Caribbean

My wife would like to "try" tanning topless. I do understand that isn't allowed in the Bahamas. Of course this is not the driving force for our vacation.

Relaxing, and enjoying the sun is. I don't want to stay in a dump, or anywhere trashy. Nothing like the Hedo's for us. A nice clean, maybe a little upscale place.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to the Caribbean

I would suggest one of the Couples Resorts for your first trip to Jamaica. They offer everything in one price including tips, transfers, food, activities, top shelf liquor and entertainment etc. www.couples.com

St. Lucia is a great destination as well. Rendezvous is a wonderful resort and was once part of the Couples chain many many moons ago.

Antigua is one of my favorite islands. Grand Pineapple Antigua is a nice entry level property.

A bit more info on what is important, price etc would help give some recommendations.

Edited: 23 January 2012, 23:45
ATLANTA
Level Contributor
619 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to the Caribbean

St. Lucia doesn't even come close to what Jamaica has to offer. I will start by just comparing the foods of both islands. Its not even close. Jamaica wins hands down.

Edited: 24 January 2012, 00:10
Noblesville, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to the Caribbean

How about the hustlers & the drugs....JA does have it all!

Noblesville, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to the Caribbean

Only stating that the poster needs to know boths sides of the island of JA......Which I truly do love myself!

Level Contributor
382 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip to the Caribbean

We went for the first time last march to sandals grand riviera and really enjoyed it. Then we went back to sandals royal Caribbean last August and fell in love with it. Topless is not allowed at sgr, src has a private island where there is a section that is c/o. Very secluded. We are splitting two weeks between couples San souci and sandals montego bay this summer. Couples is much cheeper but we hope will be as nice. We have been to grand palladium in playa del carmin and to puerto Vallarta Jamaica is the better of the three. Although We love them all and had a good time. Read the message board and go to resort websites to know where topless is ok. Some of the couples have a topless section on the beach but not the pools and three have an sections. They are all discrete so for folks like us that don't go there the resorts are still plenty big enough. I will say that if you are with the one you love it will be great at any of them. By the way couples also includes trips to dunns river and shopping on them.

Edited: 24 January 2012, 02:33
Middletown, Ohio
Level Contributor
587 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First trip to the Caribbean

I would highly recommend Sandals Montego Bay. The service is excellent and there is always something to do. For the au natural experience, you could go to Sandals Royal....takes about 10 minutes to get there from SMB. Sandals Royal has an island that has an au natural beach.

We went to Couples San Souci in Ocho Rios in September. The au natural beach at this resort also offers a pool, hot tub, and bar. Lunch is served there daily. We were not pleased with the service at this resort and the drive from the airport to the resort takes around an hour and a half. However, we would probably go back for the au natural experience, the relaxed atmosphere, and the scenery.