We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is better

Chicago
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which is better

Which is better, Couples Resort or Sandals Resort? Is there a big experience and/or price difference?

TN
Level Contributor
234 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is better

Having stayed at both couples swept away and sandals negril there is no way to answer which is best. It depends on what you are looking for and how much you want to spend. You will find die hard fans of both. My experience with sandals negril was for my honeymoon and cSA was last year. IMO couples offers more for your money, in a sense it feels like it has more included in all inclusive for ALL category of rooms. Sandals is great if you have a bulter level room. We are returning to Sandals in sept and knowing what we know we have booked a bulter level room. In any event, no doubt this will get many replies.

Chicago
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is better

Thank you! Are they both about the same in price (non butler service)?

TN
Level Contributor
234 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is better

I think the basic room at both resorts prob run around the same price. What are you looking for in a resort?

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,655 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is better

Unfortunately there is no real answer to the question "which is best" as "best" is personal to each person. What I find best might not even be close to what someone else considers best!

Keep in mind that Couples has 4 resorts in Jamaica and Sandals has 7. If these are the resort chains you are looking at, you might want to first narrow them down to which of the resorts within each chain appeal to you and has the things you absolutely can't do without....for instance, do you like a long beach, large pools, a smaller quieter resort, a large spread out resort, do you plan to go offsite or stay on the resort the whole time....these kinds of questions would help you to narrow down your choices. Then do a price, room and amenities comparison...not only between the different chains, but also between the resorts within those chains...to see which one calls your name.

We are Sandals regulars who stay in all categories from standard level to concierge to butler level. Having been to or stayed at all Sandals resorts (except SRP), some numerous times, we have a list of our favourites, and a list of those we won't go back to or stay at.

Based on research, we've narrowed down all 4 Couples resorts to only Couples Negril as suiting our preferences....we toured the resort in February to consider a future stay. We are still sitting on the fence as there were some things which did appeal to us, but other things which didn't, and so we have booked 3 Sandals resorts for next year instead.

There are a number of posts on this forum which inevitably turn into a pi$$ing match about which of these resort chains are best. "Best" for you will be the resort which fits YOUR budget and YOUR preferences, no one else's. I don't think you can go wrong with either chain! If you find you can narrow down some choices, there are both Couples and Sandals regulars here who can help answer your questions about each specific resort.

Good luck! Half the fun is in the research! :)

Edited: 15 June 2012, 20:08
Illinois
Level Contributor
5,178 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which is better

I agree with travelpair, need information about what you want in a resort before a recommendation can be made ( other then looking for a couples only resort). I am a Couples fan ( did 2 trips to Sandals resorts), but what is best for me is not necessarily best for you.

As stated on the first post Couples does offer more inclusions then Sandals. As far as price, you would need to check what resorts you are interested in visiting, and make comparisons.

My first trip to Couples instead of Sandals was because I was able to get a much better price for my travel dates at Couples, I did not care for the basic rooms at Sandals ( I always book lowest category room), and I wanted a resort more beach oriented. I also wanted a resort that was decorated and had more of a caribbean feel ( Sandals resorts are decorated with a European styling that many love), and Couples decorates each of their resorts with a Jamaican theme ( which is more basic then Sandals, and that many of us love ). WIth my research I found Couples and found my match.

So basically, there is no right or wrong answer, only personal preference.

Good luck with your research !

Edited: 15 June 2012, 20:19
London
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which is better

I prefer Couples, I find it a far more laid back vibe in luxury surroundings, sometimes at Sandals I felt it was all a bit too geared towards "coupledom"

7. Re: Which is better

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 10:18