We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals negril

Sewell, NJ
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sandals negril

Looking for HONEST, REALISTIC opinion... Booked Sandals Negril for Nov. We have stayed at the Whitehouse twice. After reading some of the reviews for Negril I am concerned. Should we switch to WHITEHOUSE, or stay with NEGRIL??? Please help We are loyal Sandals quests.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,926 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals negril

We have stayed at both and they are really very different. Whitehouse feels more spread out than SN, whereas SN feels smaller (to us) with things a little closer to each other. The beach at both is great, but we think the beach at SN is better - very calm, and almost like a zero-entry pool to enter. And you can definitely walk further on the beach in Negril.

The whole vibe of Negril is very different, and you almost need to experience it to understand it. There is more to do in terms of off-site stuff in Negril - Margaritaville, Rick's Cafe where they do the cliff diving, Negril Lighthouse (western most point on the island), shopping, etc.

We are going back to SWH in January as we haven't been there in five years; we were last at SN in August 2009, and would love to return sooner rather than later!

What in particular are you concerned about? And what category are you thinking about booking? At SWH all rooms have the ocean view - at SN you have to pay to get it, so that can make a difference as well.

Sewell, NJ
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals negril

Thanks for responding so quickly. We booked Caribbean room I think, we are 8x returnees one of the other couples is 5x the third are new... we have bragged to the new couple about Sandals for years. We know as 8 timers we will be upgraded, and also the 5 timers, hopefully they will do something for our new Sandals quests. Concerned about rooms and view, we have stayed in the Italian Village both trip to Whitehouse. We have also been to St. Lucia, Beaches Turkes. Any additional info would be GREATLY appreciated. Food, best location of rooms etc. Once again thank you for you response. I look forward to hearing from you. Oh how's the pool????

Andi

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,926 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals negril

Hi Andi,

The guaranteed upgrade is no longer a part of the SSG benefits. So depending on the time of year that you go would effect the availability of an upgrade.

We stayed in that room the first time we went (2006), and it was perfectly comfortable and adequate. Just no ocean view........ :( We watched several garden weddings from our balcony, which was lovely. We had no problem with road noise as the windows had been upgraded in these rooms.

The pools are not large, but definitely adequate. To be honest, coming from New England where our ocean water is sooooo cold, we prefer the very large pool called the Caribbean to any of the resort pools. :)

I have a review from 2009 posted on this site. Guess I didn't write one for the 2006 stay. We have also been SGSL and SGA, and there's still something about SN that stands out for me. Really enjoyed Barefoot - it's just such a romantic setting. Be sure to use bug spray on your lower legs and feet if you eat there as you are literally sitting with your feet in the sand on the beach in front of the swimup suites - the darn sand fleas do a number on me.

Feel free to ask more questions, whether here or by PM.

Jill

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,654 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals negril

We've stayed at SWH numerous times as it is our favourite of all Sandals. This past Feb/Mar we did a split stay between SN & SWH...if you wish to see my pics of either or both, just send me a PM and I will send you the link to my Picasa album...(also have recent reviews of both resorts on TA). We really enjoyed SN for the beach which is beautiful, and for the vibe which as Jill mentioned is totally different from anywhere else we've been on the island. We found the food to be very very good. However, for us we still prefer SWH.

The room you have booked is in either the Paradise bldg or the Royal Cottage...between the two my preference of location would be the Paradise bldg due to the view and closeness to the beach. We had originally booked a concierge room in the Paradise bldg for those very reasons, but then accepted a low cost upgrade to a butler room in the Sundowner.

I'm a huge pool person (love the pools at SWH) but I was very happy to lounge on the beach at SN and run back to take a dip in the lagoon pool.

As Jill mentioned too, there is absolutely no guarantee you will be offered an upgrade....SSG members and first-timers have equal opportunity to be upgraded so best to always book the room you would be happiest with.

Sewell, NJ
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals negril

Thanks for your imput, you and Jill have been very helpful... but I'm still confused. However I maybe leaning more for keeping our existing reservations. I also spoke with our travel agent, we said if we were really not pleased with Negril we could transfer to Whitehouse if the availability was there. Any more info is appreciated.

Andi

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,926 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals negril

Give us an idea what it is you are confused about. And what types of additional info. TP and I love talking about the Sandals resorts and between us have been to just about all of them - we just need some direction as to what you want to know. :)

louisiana
Level Contributor
96 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandals negril

Stayed at Sandals Negril last December and loved it. Our plans for a different destination had to be changed at the last minute and we ended up in Negril. Because of the last minute switch we were booked in the lowest level room. It was really small with no ocean view, BUT it was really nice and we had a great time. The beach and water are amazing! We loved the feel of Negril and did a couple of trips to Ricks to watch the divers and to listen to the music. Also did excursion to YS Falls, Black River, Treasure Beach - loved it all. I don't think you'll be sorry staying at Sandals Negril!

Sewell, NJ
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandals negril

Hi, thanks for responding... Concerned about the out dated rooms and property feed back that we are reading. Loved Whitehouse, thinking maybe we should have just booked there. We were reccomended to try Negril thru friends we are traveling with from one of her business Assoc. Probably reading to much into this... We do like to try new things and places. We are 3 couples, just nervous about our pick, have you been to Whitehouse??? Hope to hear from you.

Thanks Andi

Sewell, NJ
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandals negril

Everyone has been great responding!!!! making it easier to keep our current reservations. Still a little nervous because Whitehouse was terrific both trips!! Hope Negril can compare.

Thanks Andi

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
358 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sandals negril

Hi Andi, my husband and I stayed at Sandals Negril last year and are heading to Whitehouse next week. We loved Negril so at this point i'd say go for it! I'll be happy to send my comparison thoights upon our return from Whitehouse. I understand wanting your first time friends to love the Sandals experience as much as you do!