We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

src vs. swh

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
355 posts
Save Topic
src vs. swh

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I was just wondering if those who have stayed at both would mind discussing some of the pros and cons? We have already stayed at SRC once, and loved it, but not sure if we should go back there or try a change of pace.

At SRC we found a spot on the private island on the C/O beach that was pretty deserted where we could just lay in the shade all day with not a lot of people walking by. Is there something like that at SWH? Not the C/O part, mind you. Just the seclusion.

From what I can gather the pros of SWH vs SRC seem to be:

Large beach

No planes flying by

Sunrise viewing

While the cons are:

Less restaurant choices (stay at 3 for SRC)

1hr + travel time

larger resort

while the c

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
180 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: src vs. swh

You seem to have it covered ,SWH is a stunningly beautiful resort with a smaller beach but very private , a much quieter resort if that suits , seems to be suited to a more mature couple ( I'm 41 ) higher standard of food IMO and higher standard of room , we loved our stay here .

SRC does have all the pros that you listed , I was never put out by the planes , loved the Island and the 3 for 1 benefits , SMB is next door and gets pretty wild at night and is a fun fun resort , if you have any more questions I will be happy to assist

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,617 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: src vs. swh

SWH is our favourite of all Sandals and SRC is our second favourite Sandals in Jamaica and third favourite overall (been to or stayed at all Sandals except SRP).

Both are completely different resorts and in fact SRC doesn't even have the things which match our preferences (long beach and large pools) and yet we absolutely love the intimate feel and great food...and yes, the option of full exchange privileges at nearby SMB and SCI!

When we stay at SRC we love that we are at the resort almost immediately, ready to start our vacation. But though the ride to SWH is 90 minutes, it's great fun to socialize with everyone on the shuttle who are equally as excited as you are to get to the resort. The journey is a great way to see part of the island.

While SWH is a larger resort, it is laid out very nicely and never feels crowded...you will not have any problem finding a nice spot to lounge. The beach is long and beautiful and yes, you will have people walking past...but these are only the resort guests...no vendors and no other resort guests as SWH is all on its own. The beach, especially near the Italian Village is very wide from shoreline to building...so it is very easy to find a spot out of range of the beach walkers. Because of the elbow bend shoreline, you will have terrific sunrise views in the Italian section and fantastic sunsets in the Dutch and French Villages...my avatar is from our room in the French Village in 2010.

Keep in mind that no matter which Sandals you stay at, you have full exchange privileges at all of them (and at Beaches)....complimentary transportation is provided among those in the same locale such as in MoBay. While at SWH, we've done a day trip to Negril (1 hr, 15 min drive) and enjoyed spending time at SN while we toured the area. Some folks don't like the remoteness of SWH...we love it...our own paradise!

Feel free to ask specific questions. Also, if you wish to see my Picasa albums of SWH from our more recent trips there in 2010, 2011 and 2012...just send me a PM and I'll give you the link.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,617 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: src vs. swh

annjones....SWH's beach is 2 miles long...not small... :)

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
180 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: src vs. swh

Yes you are right , I meant it in reverse !!!!

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: src vs. swh

Jayb: One other thought for your consideration is splitting time between both resorts during one trip. We picked up that idea awhile ago here on the Forum and, truth be told, are ashamed we didn't think of it before on our own. But next trip, since we've never been to SWH but love SRC (hence our TA name) we're going to split a trip. First few days as SWH since most of that day is taken up with travel, then finish the trip at SRC. Then we'll get the best of both! IRIE!

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,617 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: src vs. swh

annjones...I thought so! :)

SRCFan...we love doing split trips and in fact our first split was between SRC & SWH (6 & 10 days). We tend to do the reverse of what most do...we like to arrive in Jamaica and get right to the resort (SRC) for a stay and then head to SWH to end the vacation. I'm one of those people who figure the last day is the last day, so let's just pack up and get going! So it doesn't bother me to finish our vacation at SWH rather than at SRC. But I definitely wouldn't do a split unless the vacation days totalled at least 10 days....to split only a week would be too chaotic and I would feel too rushed...but that might just be me!

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: src vs. swh

tp: I just wish TimAir or one of the air taxi companies would fly into Whitehouse. We've done that for fun to Negril and it's a neat option. I keep checking...but so far, nothing. Then the whole ground travel time issue would be moot. No way my wife is getting on that helicopter, plus it's really expensive compared to TimAir last time I checked.

Your approach wrt to split sequencing also makes sense...just depends on preferences.

I think my wife might be so sad leaving SRC's famous Butlers, Ellis and Hughill, and then going to SW that it might be a downer for her. So from her perspective, ending the visit at SRC would give her more pleasure than ending at SW. So if we start at SW, then move to SRC, she gets to see her two favorite Butlers for the balance of the trip.

I agree that for a 7 night stay, splitting takes out much of one whole day, transiting, unpacking, re-checking in, etc. We've got some complimentary nights coming our way as a compensation from the photo shoot debacle at SRC during our last visit, so we're going to leverage those complimentary nights into maybe a total 10 or 11 night stay, splitting between the two properties. Since the complimentary nights are for '$$$ value' not keyed to nights, we can stay at SW in a concierge or deluxe room for one or two more nights vs. a Butler room so we're thinking going that route too.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,617 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: src vs. swh

SRCFan...I totally get where your wife is coming from with wanting to end the trip at your favourite, as I'm exactly the same! We seem to always end our splits at SWH...this year I wanted to be sure we had SWH to look forward to in case we didn't like SN, and next year we are trying SRP for the first time...and again are ending at SWH, just in case! (though I can't imagine not liking SRP).

I would love to take the heli to SWH but also feel it is way too expensive (plus I'm afraid of heights)...if we return to Sandals Grande St. Lucian, we will definitely do the helicopter over the road trip...anything to help with the motion sickness. But at least I can manage the drive to SWH. Perhaps when they add Beaches and the golf course, there might be other options aside of the road and heli route.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
355 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: src vs. swh

Bumping this up to see if anyone else has any input. Still trying to decide! Airfare is already purchased for 7 nights so a split isn't in the cards.

Thanks again Travelpair for showing me the pictures!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
356 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: src vs. swh

First, since you've been to SRC and not to SWH, and a split is not an option, then SWH is the choice since you haven't been there.

Second, why is someone from Montego Bay asking such a question on this forum?