We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walkabout in Jamaica

east yorkshire
Level Contributor
159 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Walkabout in Jamaica

Which would be the best region to book a holiday in, for us to walk around safely ? EG ,Ocho Rios, Montego Bay, Kingston

United States
Level Contributor
10,994 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walkabout in Jamaica

For a long discussion of this topic see the following

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147309-i69-k57222…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walkabout in Jamaica

LOL the OP didn't say anything about backpacking or hiking... .i think maybe it's a lingual thing, but i suspect they just don't want to be holed up in the resort (sorry if i'm wrong)...

The main tourist areas are safe for visitors to walk about during the day and reasonably safe to get around in the evening with common sense (walking may not be the best option)...

I'd say pick an area based on what you'd want to do/see and go from there... If walkability to an abundance of stuff is important, you might want to limit yourself to central Ochi, mobay or Negril... those three have different vibes and different things to offer in the immediate vicinity... Kingston has it's merrits but isn't the best place to base your vacation if you're looking for the typical island holiday (beach, drinks with umbrellas ect)... it's more about the culture, food, music ect.. there are areas of kingston that are very safe to walk around, and areas that those who do not belong there are advised not to even think about visiting....

There's plenty of threads that explain the differences between montego bay (mobay), Ocho Rios (Ochi) and Negril... probably best to use the search above and scroll through a few and get a sense of which is best for you...

Enjoy

Chelle

east yorkshire
Level Contributor
159 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walkabout in Jamaica

Thanks Chell

I was Just asking about getting out of the hotel

Not doing a full scale expedition

east yorkshire
Level Contributor
159 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walkabout in Jamaica

Thanks Chell

I was Just asking about getting out of the hotel

Not doing a full scale expedition

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walkabout in Jamaica

The best place to hike right now is the Blue Mountains. There you can see all of nature and mountains and all the beauty that Jamaica has to offer.

Flights arriving in Kingston right now are very reasonable.

You can then travel via the North coast to Negril and Montego Bay...You can leave from Montego bay after seeing the sights of the white sand and Cliffs of Negril ...and the old time charm of Montego bay.

Check out Princes Valley Guest House in the Blue Mountains......

http://www.princevalleyguesthouse.com/

And also in the Treasure Island Area..Pon DI Rock....................

www.ponderock.com/english/ponderock_e.htm

Jamaica is made of different areas and each has a flavor of its own..

Explore it in these safe areas to explore , hike and walk around and explore.

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walkabout in Jamaica

Wantotravel - please read post 4 so that you will know what is being asked for.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walkabout in Jamaica

posts 3 and 4 actually :)

Chelle

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walkabout in Jamaica

Getting out of Hotel and not a full excursion.

Ja --YOU are confused...you see to ME !! it all depends on the HOTEL that the vacationer chooses. If he decided to stay in a place better for a small hike ---he would STILL only need to do a small walkabout........say to the coffee being picked in the early morning mist on the hills of the BLue Mountains.

SEE WHAT I MEAN !!

You should really stop attacking me---because as I have stated before--I think before I post.

NOW--onto what did you say ?? Post 4..POST 4 IS A DUPLICATE. Can;t you count ???????

9. Re: Walkabout in Jamaica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2013, 10:15