We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

'Hard to find' items for the locals

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
'Hard to find' items for the locals

Hi everyone, we have booked to go to Jamaica next month and I've been reading up on all the advice for first timers. On the Jamaica tourist page it advises to take pencils, erasers, sharpener, compass, ruler and a couple of composition books and leave them for the maid in the resort as they would be much appreciated. We are staying in CTI in Ocho Rios and I believe tipping is not allowed so is there anything else we should take to show our appreciation to the staff? Things that are hard to find in Jamaica in particular?

Also, I have been reading up on the electricity current and it seems I need a converter to use my UK hair dryer / straighteners, does anyone know what sort of converter?

Any other advice for first timers would be much appreciated :)

Nicky & Ade

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 'Hard to find' items for the locals

This is a travel adaptor that I like. No need to carry the 3 pin UK part to Jamaica:

amazon.co.uk/worldwide-Travel-Adaptor-charge…

For small give-aways to females I carry makeup - lip gloss, eyebrow pencils etc. Small, lightweight and appreciated. Remember you will be buying for dark skin so choose appropriate colours.

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
540 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 'Hard to find' items for the locals

Your hairdrier will not work in Jamaica unless it is dual voltage. But CTI has hairdriers in the bathrooms. Your straighteners will work but will take a lot longer to heat up. You will have no problem charging up phones and camera batteries - you just need an adapter like the one recommended by JAsoldier, or any adapter from Boots etc for USA use.

Dont bother getting any Jamaican currency, US dollars are fine. You will need 1 dollar per bag to tip the airport porters and we usually give the bus driver $10.

Edited: 12 October 2012, 14:13
Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
540 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 'Hard to find' items for the locals

Also - have you looked at the Message Board on the Couples website? Lots of info about all the Couples resorts and a good place to ask any specific questions re CTI. Have a great trip!

4. Re: 'Hard to find' items for the locals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 12:18