We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adult only, all inclusive, wheelchair accessible

Calgary, Alberta...
3 posts
Save Topic
Adult only, all inclusive, wheelchair accessible

Four of us forty year olds are planning a trip to Jamaica in February; we need a resort that is handicap friendly with elevators and possibly scooters to get to and from the beach. Does anyone know anything?

Colorado, USA
Level Contributor
480 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Adult only, all inclusive, wheelchair accessible

Ask on the couples.com message board about Couples Negril and you might get some detailed feedback. No elevators, but I remember meeting a guy in a wheelchair there and all of the restaurants are on the ground floor, so it could be set up OK.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adult only, all inclusive, wheelchair accessible

We have seen numerous guests in wheelchairs at Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island. One building, the Clarence building, is 3 stories high with elevators. All other buildings have ground floor accessible rooms. The balance of the resort is all on ground level. All the restaurants, bars, activity areas, and the private island itself are all on ground level. Walkways are either wooden planking or poured concrete. The resort is compact in terms of overall footprint size.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,353 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adult only, all inclusive, wheelchair accessible

I agree that Couples Negril might be a good fit as far as getting around the resort. All dining is on the ground floor, there are concrete paths and wooden planking to get around the property. The only issue that I see is getting to the beach, you can get right to the edge of the beach, but may have some problems in the sand.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,542 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adult only, all inclusive, wheelchair accessible

Sandals Whitehouse is all adult-couples only and is mobility friendly. The only place inaccessible is the martini bar which is up a flight of stairs, otherwise all buildings have elevators, there are handicap access rooms, the piazza to the restaurants and lobby is flat or with an incline area, the beach now has a cement walkway from one end to the other. On our last stay in November I met a few different couples with mobility issues and using wheel chairs and asked them how easy/difficult it was for them to get around. Each mentioned only the martini bar as an obstacle.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Adult only, all inclusive, wheelchair accessible

I also saw where COCO LAPALM lists wheelchair acessibility.

GO to ONE STOP and see it for yourself.

negrilonestop.com/…specials

Edited: 12 January 2013, 23:25
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
450 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Adult only, all inclusive, wheelchair accessible

I don't think Coco La Palm is adult only.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Adult only, all inclusive, wheelchair accessible

Its not--but it is Wheelchair Accessible --which really in Jamaica would be the most important thing --I think !

Maybe they will see some other places as well that might work for them..

Not many choices for handicapped anywhere if you ask me.

8. Re: Adult only, all inclusive, wheelchair accessible

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2014, 07:17