We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

This is so sad!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
This is so sad!

We have been going to Jamaica for the past 5 years. Our first trip was to Sandals Dunns River and it was great. Since then, thanks to a couple we met on the plane ride home, we have gone to Couples.

Life is taking a turn and we just bought a place in Florida, thinking ahead to retirement time. Our vacation this year is a week in Orlando and then a week in Negril at CN . We just have to complete the "Couples Grand Slam" as this is the only Couples we havent been to yet.

So, here is the sad part........ neither my husband or I have been looking forward to Orlando! All we can talk about is Jamaica!

We have been so spoiled by the people of Jamaica and the staff at Couples and I fear this will be our last trip there.

I just finished packing and we leave for our Florida home tomorrow. Any words of wisdom from others that have been in the same boat are appreciated.

Marnie

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,639 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: This is so sad!

Are you afraid it will be your last trip to Jamaica or your last trip to Couples? Especially living in Orlando, I would think you could swing trips to Jamaica. You might just have to do non AI in Negril instead.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: This is so sad!

Hopefully your new retirement home won't strangle your desire to travel to other places.

Usually its the money that keeps folks from traveling after the purchase of retirement homes , time shares ,vacation cottages..and such.....because the cost of them make other travel hard to handle especialy to costly locations.

Getting to Jamaica from Florida is a heck of a lot less money than from any other location in the states---so I hope you can save up your pennies and still be able to travel .

My husband and I have looked into time shares and summer cabins several times. WE always held back --and now I am so happy that we did.....'cause I think we'd be stuck in what ever town or country that 2nd property was located in. He no longer travels much because of a inner ear problem and so if we had bought something 10 or 20 years ago I think I'd be sort of stuck there now for vacations......

I am so happy to be free of those sorts of binds--no worrying about "selling" our share or "trading " our share...or renting the cabin out because were not going this year. .....and now--I will be able to go where I want--though I must often pay a single supplement.

I no longer look for luxury vacation now that I travel alone--I want basic , clean and an opportunity to meet with local people.When we used to travel together I was always looking to a Couples or a Swept Away...but now I keep my travel very simple. I still do lots of things --but on a lower scale of it all !

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
2,978 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: This is so sad!

Bump - Wonder whats up with MarnieToronto and how the Florida home is.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,639 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: This is so sad!

She hasn't posted anything since the end of January.

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: This is so sad!

MarnieToronto did post a restaurant review on July 10, 2013. But nothing in the forums since January.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
2,978 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: This is so sad!

Marnie is back :)

7. Re: This is so sad!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2014, 07:19