We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which is better to use US Dollars or Jamaican Money?

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
which is better to use US Dollars or Jamaican Money?

Its my first time in jamaica and i want to know which money is better to move on the Jamaican streets? American Dolar o Jamaican Dolar?

sorry for my english..is not good

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,917 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which is better to use US Dollars or Jamaican Money?

Jamaican. Only use US if you are FROM the US and bring it for convenience and you will be staying at an all-inclusive resort.

Jamaican $ are accepted everywhere.

Edited: 23 January 2013, 20:52
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: which is better to use US Dollars or Jamaican Money?

thanks ohliz, im a low budget traveller... im travelling with US dollars but i wanna change it for jamaican $... where i could do that? in kingston airport?

United States
Level Contributor
11,378 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which is better to use US Dollars or Jamaican Money?

Can you change money at the airport? Yes. Should you change money at the airport? Probably no. See the following on where to change money

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-s601/Jamaica:…

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which is better to use US Dollars or Jamaican Money?

I guess it would depend on where you're planning to go, but if you're staying on a resort and only going out shopping, or to dinner, or excursions, I think your US money is fine. I have never exchanged for Jamaican, and have always gotten US change. I don't spend tons of time off resort though. If you will be constantly off a resort and buying things, it may be worth it to exchange.

5. Re: which is better to use US Dollars or Jamaican Money?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 January 2013, 11:31
Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,917 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which is better to use US Dollars or Jamaican Money?

Airport rates aren't great but you can change a little there then do the rest at a cambio or bank. If you are flying into Kingston and are "on a low budget" then I'll guess you are not staying at a resort. I'd definitely use JA$ in Kingston, there aren't many tourists around and many businesses will look at you like you have two heads if you try to use US$ there.

You can also use an ATM to get money from your bank account if it is part of a network like Plus or Cirrus, then the money will be in JA$.

7. Re: which is better to use US Dollars or Jamaican Money?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2014, 07:16