We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Supplemental Price Increases

6 posts
Save Topic
Supplemental Price Increases

We just booked our first trip to Sandals Whitehouse using a travel agent. We paid for our airfare in full and paid a deposit on the hotel. After booking our trip, I received a letter from the travel agent, asking me to sign a form acknowleging that the airline tickets and hotel I purchased are subject to supplemental price increases due to additional costs imposed by a travel supplier or government. The form basically authorizes the travel agency to charge my credit card for such additional amounts.

According to the travel agency's letter, this is in accordance with the new Department of Transportation Consumer Airline Protection Rules.

I have never seen anything like this, and I was not told about this prior to booking our trip. Can anyone shed any light on this? I'm not inclined to sign anything authorizing the travel agency to charge me more for a trip I've already booked.

Mentioned in this post
Sandals South Coast
Sandals South Coast
7,535 Reviews
Jamaica
Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
821 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Supplemental Price Increases

I would call and ask your agent before signing anything. I know that there is a departure tax, but that is usually included in airfare. We book with a TA as well and I have never been asked to sign anything like that.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,542 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Supplemental Price Increases

Rebecca J: This sounds fishy to me. Coming back to you after you've purchased the airline tickets for more money just sounds like somebody trying to get some...

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Supplemental Price Increases

I think to fully set the price of the vacation --it must be paid 100 % .

Since you have paid the airfare --that should be set...but the deposit is only a portion of the trip and until its PAID IN FULL.....the rates can change.

Otherwise --I have never heard of changing the cost of a vacation once its been paid in full.

Who'd you book with ?

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,542 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Supplemental Price Increases

WANTOTRAV: Sandals policy is and for at least the last 10 years we've been traveling with them, once you make a deposit you have a price guarantee on the land portion of your trip. If the price goes up, you are protected, and if it goes down, you get the delta. The only time this policy changes is if you upgrade the original room category, then the rate reflects the rate at date of upgrade, not original booking date. Maybe what the TA is asking for is permission to charge extra should some extra costs be incurred before the trip occurs? For example, suppose the traveler does change their mind and wants an upgrade? Just guessing here...it's all in the fine and terms and conditions I suspect.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Supplemental Price Increases

Thats is rather strangeSRCF......but must be THEIR way.

Normally--when making bookings --the up front money always pays for the flight....not the land.....I guess Sandals wants to be sure that they receive their cut first.

In theory--they could raise the cost point for the land for all and any circumstances that they'd like--if you've signed an agreement to allow it.

Did this poster book directly thru Sandals ? ...and is that the only way to utilize Sandals ?

Just curious about that.

6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Supplemental Price Increases

I booked using a travel agent--I did not book directly with Sandals.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Supplemental Price Increases

Something still sounds fishy here. I use a travel agent and have NEVER ever been faced with a price increase once we put a deposit down - nor has it ever been even suggested that a price increase "could" happen. I have heard of surcharges from the airlines because of fuel cost increases, but fortunately have never been faced with that personally.

Rebecca - I really think you need to check with some other travel agents/agencies to find out if this is the norm. We will all be very interested to hear. Maybe it is a new policy, but again will be very interested in the answer.

Milford, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,194 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Supplemental Price Increases

The only reason for that sort of waiver or form to be necessary is when booking cruises as the cruise lines often state on their bookings that they reserve the right to charge fuel supplement charges without notice.

SRCFan has it dead on. If you have booked a Sandals vacation, no matter who it was through, the pricing is protected once the deposit is made on the booking. If your flights are booked and paid in full as well, then it would be very unlikely for the airfare to be changed UNLESS you purchased a bulk or negotiated fare. If that is the case, pay your package in full as soon as possible to avoid any future supplemental charges.

I would ask for clarification either way. It sounds like you may be working with a rather new agent that is having you sign this to cover their butts just in case but they really should have advised you prior to booking if they were booking bulk or negotiated air.

Hope this helps.

Inuvik, Canada
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Supplemental Price Increases

IrieLady knows her stuff , working with her I have always gotten price decrease never and increase. Oh My I would have fitt. lol.

Edited: 27 May 2013, 18:24
Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,701 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Supplemental Price Increases

How WEIRD. Every hotel I book, my rate is guaranteed whether the rates go up down or sideways in the ensuing period of time. Back in the day, when you booked a flight and the fare went down you got credit for the difference but that hasn't been the case in many years. One of the reasons to book in advance (or at least it WAS one of the reasons) was to lock down a good fare or rate. Sounds fishy. Don't sign anything.