We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

air miles to get back to paradise

Havre, Montana
Level Contributor
105 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
air miles to get back to paradise

I am considering geting a credit card that gives you air miles, but I don't really know how that work? Any suggestions or advice on a good one? I did post on the "air fare" forum- but Jamaica is where I want to use those miles so I thought some of you might have some ideas too. Thanks!

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,558 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: air miles to get back to paradise

I have a Citibank card that gives me 1 mile per every dollar spent. I can then use those miles on American Airlines, which is where my major frequent flyer account is.

This card, along with the miles I travel throughout the year (considerable, last year over 50K) allow hub and I to book two round trip first class tickets from San Francisco to MoBay each year for the past 15 years (give or take, I think that's the last time we paid for plane tickets there).

Well...almost. Like with everything else the airlines, including American are getting stingy with their frequent flyer programs. Last year the number of miles needed doubled so we ended up paying for hub's ticket. This year, hopefully not. (And we were booking four months out!)

My card is spendy - a "regular" card from CB for AA is about $85/year and the interest rates are not the lowest. But I use mine for business expenses and it gets paid off each month.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: air miles to get back to paradise

One thing to consider in addition to rastagirl777's thoughts are make sure you investigate which airlines fly from your departure location to JA since that is your intended destination for using your miles. We use a USAir World Elite Master Card primarily because from our departure city, USAir offers the most flights too and fro. In addition, there are other perks like a complimentary USAir club visit, $99 accompanying domestic flight, first class check in line priviledges which is worth it's wait in gold on departure in JA, and others perks. Closely investigate annual fees and interest rates too.

3. Re: air miles to get back to paradise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2014, 06:18