We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kingston

New York City, New...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Kingston

I am flying from JFK into Kingston on Saturday. Many people are telling me I am crazy and should have flown into Montego Bay. What advice or opinion can you offer so that my trip is safe and sound?

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kingston

I don't think it's crazy to fly into Kingston, it's a perfectly fine international airport. It is not close to most of the more conventional tourist areas so unless you are staying in Portland or the Blue Mountains or elsewhere in or near Kingston, it will cost more to get where you are going than it would from Montego Bay.

Where are you headed?

United States
Level Contributor
11,072 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kingston

"Many people are telling me I am crazy and should have flown into Montego Bay."

The answer depends on where you are going on the island and what you plan to do when you get there. If you are going to the Port Antonio area or the Blue Mountains then Kingston is a good choice. If on the other hand you plan to lay on the beach in Negril then you should fly to Montego Bay. A good answer is hard to give with the information you have provided on your plans once you reach the island.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kingston

there's no inherent danger in flying into Kingston... you just may have more travel time (it would be completely crazy if, for example, you were staying in Montego Bay as it's a 4+ hour drive that you needn't have to take at all...)... Negril it's an extra 3+ hour travel time, Ocho Rios is an extra half hour to an hour (but a MUCH prettier drive IMO)..

all and all the airport is a bit more "local" based, it's smaller and you just don't have the same type of hassles as in MBJ... AND the incoming visitor lines are typically shorter :)

Chelle

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kingston

Don't travel directly to M'Bay.

See Kingston ...and Port Royal.....

Hang in the Blue Mountains or the Treasure Island area for a few days and unwind...via the South areas--or go by the north highways and stay around mid island

5. Re: Kingston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2014, 05:16