We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good deal for the Jewel RB - should I switch from hilton rh?

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
625 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Good deal for the Jewel RB - should I switch from hilton rh?

I can switch from a basic room at the Hilton to a waterview room at Jewel RB. I see JRB also includes airport transfers, glass bottom rides, etc. Sounds like a great deal. Originally booked the Hilton for its water park. Will my kids have enough to do at Jewel? I know it's been recently renovated. The GM seems really proactive here on FB.

Its down to about a month for us....have researched to death, driven many people crazy. (Sorry everyone!)

What would you do? Kids are 5 and 9.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,639 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good deal for the Jewel RB - should I switch from hilton rh?

Can you cancel for nothing? Usually there is a cancellation charge. Paying that may negate any good deal that the Jewel. If you don't have to pay anything to cancel, it may be a tough choice. I've heard good things about both resorts.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
625 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good deal for the Jewel RB - should I switch from hilton rh?

I would have a very minimal change fee. No significant cost difference. I'm so torn!

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,639 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good deal for the Jewel RB - should I switch from hilton rh?

So why did you pick the Hilton over the Jewel in the first place?

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
625 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good deal for the Jewel RB - should I switch from hilton rh?

I actually picked Hilton because of the water park and its proximity to the airport. Now that I've done more research I'm a little more comfortable with the distance from the airport. (Plus I purchased evacuation insurance just in case.) It seemed like the Hilton would keep my kids occupied at the water park.

Jewel seems like it has a better beach, laser tag (my 9 yo son will love it), more restaurants, and some included activities like glass bottom boat rides that would be extra at the Hilton.

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Good deal for the Jewel RB - should I switch from hilton rh?

Bizzy Mom

I have not stayed at the Hilton. I have stayed at Jamaica Jamaica &.consequently Breezes Runaway Bay and did like the property & beach but have not been since it became Jewel Runaway Bay, so my advice won't be based on first hand experience just from what I have read and traveling to JA for a very long time and researching family resorts.

Looks like the water park is the only thing holding you at the Hilton. You are still looking at other resorts even though you were already booked there, so you must be apprehensive. How much time will your kids spend at the water park? Is there a height requirement that your kids will meet? I think I read there is an extra charge for using the water park, is this true?

The Jewel does have 3 pools and a kids activity program. It also sits on a nice stretch of beach with snorkeling right off shore. There have been some good reviews of the Jewel and improvements to the property since Breezes. I would think the Jewel would also give all of you plenty of things to do and keep all of you happy. We would pick the Jewel, but that's just us.

Good luck with your decision, I am sure no matter which resort you end up with you will have a nice vacation with your family!

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
625 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good deal for the Jewel RB - should I switch from hilton rh?

Thank you negrilbeachlovergirl.

How far is the Jewel RB from Negril? I would still like to visit.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,639 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good deal for the Jewel RB - should I switch from hilton rh?

I think staying at the Jewel would put a trip to Negril a bit tougher. It's probably going to be about a two and a half hour drive each way. If visiting Negril is a must, stay in Montego Bay.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
625 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good deal for the Jewel RB - should I switch from hilton rh?

anod1, what excursions are good from Jewel RB? I agree 2.5 hours one way is kind of long. Dunn's River my kids can't really traverese. Same thing with the zipline and Mystic Mountain rides. Negril was going to be a calm, laid back (but fun) beach day. Anything like that in Runaway Bay or Ocho Rios?

9. Re: Good deal for the Jewel RB - should I switch from hilton rh?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2014, 06:18