We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals Jamaica vs Antigua vs grande st Lucian

Manasquan, New...
7 posts
Save Topic
Sandals Jamaica vs Antigua vs grande st Lucian

Hi!! We are having a very difficult time deciding on our honeymoon destination. We are traveling Nov 2013. We plan on staying in a private room with butler service. We are 26 and 29. We just want to relax but have the option for going to pools to socialize. We love the beach! Does anyone have a preference on these three resorts? Been to any or all? Or recommended something totally different? Thank you!!

Ocala, Florida
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios, Negril, Montego Bay
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals Jamaica vs Antigua vs grande st Lucian

Which Sandals in Jamaica??

Manasquan, New...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals Jamaica vs Antigua vs grande st Lucian

Not sure ... What the best nicest for young couples. Spending around 10,000 usd

Ocala, Florida
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios, Negril, Montego Bay
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals Jamaica vs Antigua vs grande st Lucian

Our favorite is Sandals Grand Riviiera --- good mixture of ages, large,great pools and 15 restaurants to choose from. You can be as busy as you want to be or as laid back as you want to be. The perfect room for a honeymoon would be the Romeo & Juliet suite which comes with it's own pool and hot tub inside your own courtyard ---- these have all recently been renovated. We also stayed at Sandals Royal Caribbean this past February and had the Romeo & Juliet swim-up suite --- this was the most amazing room I have ever stayed in --- large, whirlpool tub, and we could walk right off of our patio into the lagoon. The butlers here were also amazing ---- would be perfect for a honeymoon. However this is a much smaller resort with smaller pools but they do have a private island with a CO section (if that interests you) . The age here seems to be a little older but if you stay here you can go to the other 2 Sandals in Montego Bay and they shuttle you there.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
357 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals Jamaica vs Antigua vs grande st Lucian

For the most part, you will see a mix of ages at Sandals resorts- honeymooners like yourselves as well a retirees. We are in our mid-30s and always make friends both younger and older than we are, as well as many around our age. I don't think you can go wrong.

For your price range, you have loads of options! We loved the crystal lagoon swim up suites at Sandals Negril- amazing room! I'm dying to stay in the Romeo and Juliet at SGR, and although just a tad above your budget, the Rondovals at the St. Lucian Grande are impressive...

If air is part of your budget, then Jamaica may give you more $$ to spend on a dream room than the other two destinations.

SO much fun to choose!!! Congrats!!!

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals Jamaica vs Antigua vs grande st Lucian

Kelly L: The Sandals properties in Jamaica are all very different in certain respects...very similar in others. We have stayed at Sandals Montego Bay, Whitehouse, and Royal Caribbean and Private Island resorts, and dined at Carlyle. We have also stayed at Beaches Negril several times. We love SRC for the following reasons:

1. Proximity to Sangster airport. We cross off Antigua and St. Lucia as destinations because from our home, we blow an entire day in transit and and entire day on return. At SRC, we are on the beach by lunch, and leave at lunch on arrival and departure days. For us, it's about maximizing beach/sun time.

2. Stay at 1, play at 3 program. Largest selection of dining themes within the Sandals construct.

3. Clothing optional section of the Private Island.

4. Smaller footprint.

5. Highest probability of sunny weather.

Things that don't matter to us:

1. Going off property for ANYTHING.

2. Traveling from the airport to anywhere outside Mo' Bay within the Sandals family of resorts.

3. Larger property, with expansive beaches. All we need is a patch of ground for sand gravity to overwhelm us.

Your tastes will no doubt differ? If you or other readers would like to receive a Powerpoint presentation that my wife and I put together describing the SRC experience, please send me a TripAdvisor private message with an appropriate email address to send it too.

Good luck in your search.

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,107 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals Jamaica vs Antigua vs grande st Lucian

I haven't been to Antigua yet, but I was at all of them in St Lucia, and all but SCI (the Inn) in Jamaica. Since you actually said "private" room, SGR comes to my mind only because you can't get much more privacy than the villas on the hillside. And you can have a private pool, and like the above poster mentioned, you can do the R&J, and have a hot tub and private pool.

The bluff at SLT in St Lucia would also be nice. It would be less private, but have a better view. I am not sure if the view from your room is important, but the villas at SGR are across the street from the ocean, so some have oceanviews, but it is across the way. The bluff at SLT is on a cliff, and overlooks the water, and has amazing sunset views.

SGSL is the one you mentioned, and the rondovals do have private pools, but off the top of my head, I think they are smaller than the ones at SGR. The rondovals are in an area together, so I still think SGR would be the best for privacy.

Does $10,000 include your air? Like TravelFoodWine said, you're going to have a lot more to spend at a Sandals in Jamaica than one in St Lucia. From where I live, air to St Lucia, or Antigua, is just about double what it is to Jamaica.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandals Jamaica vs Antigua vs grande st Lucian

Is it about the island experience or about the resort? I think that is an important question.

We choose the destination first and then choose a resort. We base our decision on what our priorities are for the trip.

We love St. Lucia but price and flight duration precludes us from going except occasionally. It is a gorgeous island with lots to do. We do not stay at Sandals there as there are other resorts we prefer but the island itself is simply lovely.

Antigua is also beautiful with lots to do off resort. We stayed 2x at SA years ago, before the latest expansion, but prefer other resorts on the island that are more intimate and unique.

We go very often to JA as it is an inexpensive flight of less than two hours for us. We generally stick with Negril as we are beach people, first and foremost. When staying AI, we prefer Couples to Sandals as it suits us better based on what is important to us.

Our idea of what constitutes fun is likely very different from yours though as we prefer a more intimate resort. SGR is our least favorite of the Sandals we have been to (all but SWH, SH, SR) as we find it too large and too impersonal. Others love the size and across the road accommodations but it is not for us.

While I cannot personally fathom spending 10k to stay at any Sandals, I do think you might want to research what the islands themselves have to offer. We go off resort quite a bit no matter where we go so the destination itself is really important. We do not consider a resort to be a destination in itself, unless it is truly special.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
2,933 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandals Jamaica vs Antigua vs grande st Lucian

Kelly L - First of all congratulations on your upcoming wedding and honeymoon. Secondly, if you haven't already, sign up for the notifications from Sandals (sandals.com). You will then get notifications on promotions/deals. November isn't quite high season yet, so you may find some deals. I personally have stayed at Sandals Montego Bay and visted the other two Sandals Properties in Montego bay. I have also stayed at Sandals Grand St. Lucian. We are in our upper 30s and like to relax but also like there to be a night life if we want to go out. I would say that Sandals MoBay has the best nightlife; however there is always fun to be found at Sandals Grand St. Lucian and there are likely the most honeymooners there than we have seen at any Sandals. There is a great beach at both properties. If it were MY honeymoon, I think I may pick (although Jamaica is still my favorite island) Sandals Grand in St. Lucia.

If you go to St. Lucia, I would like to make a suggestion for an excursion - the Magical Grenadines Tour (www.serenitytvl.com/Grenadines_Tour.html) Without a doubt simply the most amazing day we have ever had on a vacation. You fly from the airport that is only about 20 mins away from Sandals Grand (In castries??). You get on a 10 seater plane and fly to Union Island (if you're lucky you will get to stop in St. Vincent like we did). From Union Island you hop on a catamaran and basically island hop for the day. It is a bit pricy ($410 per person), but without a doubt the BEST money we ever spent on an excursion. Words cannot describe it - you get to snorkel, swim with sea turtles. And you will not beleive the turquoise waters. Unreal. If I were getting married and that was my honeymoon that is the memory I would want. Geesh - typing this makes me want to go back!!

If you have any questions, let me know. Too_cold.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandals Jamaica vs Antigua vs grande st Lucian

Kelly L: With all due respect to Too_Cold's suggestion of the catamaran cruise...and it does sound lovely...the one thing you MUST ask yourself ahead of time is, "What is our sea sickness history?" If you are prone...I wouldn't touch a cat or any other cruise with a 10 foot pole. We went on a cruise from St. Thomas to St. John's during our honeymoon that sounds pretty similar...snorkeling, picnic beach lunch, etc. Mrs. SRCFan got very, very sea sick (along with maybe half the other guests) and had the worst day of her life just about.

Edited: 22 May 2013, 20:17
vancouver
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sandals Jamaica vs Antigua vs grande st Lucian

Could you please send me the presentation that you mentioned to create0000@gmail.com please? Me and my husband are planning a vacation and deciding between sandals negril, sandals royal carrabian. Thank you!