We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on deciding on where to stay in Jamaica.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice on deciding on where to stay in Jamaica.

Thanks in advance for any help with this question. I am hoping to take my girlfriend to Jamaica in July but don't have a clue as to where to stay. I was looking at Sandals Whitehouse but my girlfriend feels it is too isolated. So nothing close by to walk to.

i am looking for a couples or adult oriented resort- all inclusive. 5 star preferably. I want it to be very romantic but also somewhere where off site entertainment and restaurants are accessible.

Also, good food is a necessary!

United States
Level Contributor
11,378 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on deciding on where to stay in Jamaica.

See the following to be more specific as to what you are looking for.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-c182778/Jamai…

Jamaica probably has many, maybe 20, resorts that are "couples or adult oriented resort- all inclusive. 5 star preferably... somewhere where off site entertainment and restaurants are accessible"

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
1,789 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on deciding on where to stay in Jamaica.

Very romantic. Adult oriented. Access to off-site entertainment and dining

I think you should look at Couples Swept Away. It is located on Long Bay which is what you want for off-site dining and entertainment. It is adult only, couples only. It is known as a very romantic resort. And it has a great reputation for the dining.

The one issue may be in the '5 star' requirement. That means different things to different people. Couples Swept Away is not known for glitz and glamour. The rooms have been described as island-chic. But they are not fancy. You should look at the pictures here on TA and on the Couples web site to get a good idea of what the rooms are like, if that is glitz and glam factor is important to you.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,430 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice on deciding on where to stay in Jamaica.

I would second Couples Swept Away as far as adult, romantic, good food, drinks, staff, close to places to eat, wonderful beach, etc.

As far as 5 star, no it is not marble and glitz, but clean and comfortable.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
152 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice on deciding on where to stay in Jamaica.

My suggestion would be Sandals Royal Caribbean. Romantic and excellent food for sure. Sandals stay at 1, play at 3 gives you easy access to the Hip Strip for off site shopping and entertainment. The other two resorts give you many options for dining, sports and entertainment.

Level Contributor
382 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice on deciding on where to stay in Jamaica.

We have stayed at the following:

Sandals sgr is very large with great pools good to very good food and room service. The beach is pitiful. The villas are nice but you will spend some time getting from place to place. Those who are loyal say the don't mind.

Sandals src is small with lots of small romantic pools and an ok beach. The private island is nice with little to distract you and a great lunch. The food is very good to great. We loved it.

Sandals smb is larger with awful pools and a very nice beach. All the palapas go to butler guests and there are not enough for them. Food is ok to very good. The management is great if you don't need them.

Couples CSS is large in area with a small no. of rooms (150). Great pools and good enough beach. The food was good to great. We are going back next Tuesday for 10 nights.

The butler rooms at a sandals will be shinier than couples, but the couples rooms are normally larger in every category. Couples is much less expensive with more included. All the sandals we have stayed at were fun, but no more than CSS. Our 10 nights at CSS this summer in a beach front suite will be nearly 2000 less than our bay roc villa at smb for 7 nights last summer. The sandals villa was bed and bath, no living area and a shared balcony set on a sea wall.

Of the three sandals src is wonderful. But CSS was better IMO.

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice on deciding on where to stay in Jamaica.

Mike

I will give a third recommendation for Couples Swept Away in Negril located on the 7 Mile Beach. Availability may be an issue so act quickly.

Sandals Negril also on 7 Mile Beach is a good option as well located on the northern end of Long Bay.

We will be returning to both resorts next month as part of a split stay with Sandals Whitehouse. All three resorts offer a unique experience. If an all around superb beach and easy access to establishments off resort are important to you look into Negril.

Enjoy your research and your time in Jamaica!

Chambersburg...
Level Contributor
2,666 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice on deciding on where to stay in Jamaica.

The good news is, pretty much any of the AI resorts people have mentioned above can provide access to attractions, tours, restaurants and activities rather they are nearby or not. There are many excursion and tour companies as well as the option of hiring a private driver to take you where ever you would like. I cannot comment on much accept Sandals Royal Caribbean. The idea of 5 star is subject but I gave it 5 stars for our honeymoon. Less than 10 minutes from the airport so you can start your vacation all the sooner and make it last all the longer. Montego Bay is where the airport is located so staying at any resort in Montego Bay will grant you the pleasure of starting your vacation right away. Places like Negril ect are a 90 minute drive but many regard the drive as a free excursion or tour and enjoy the seclusion away from the noise of the airplanes.

My husband and I found SRC to have the perfect ambiance, atmosphere and character for romance and relaxation but felt we experienced 4 vacations in one when you take advantage of the complimentary shuttle to the nearby 2 other sandals and the SRC private offshore island. This means 18 dining options, 12 pools, 10 whirlpools, 12 bars and 4 beaches. Plus you can enjoy all the entertainment, amenities and activities at all sandals as if you were a guest there. To us it was a key selling point. You can take the free shuttle to Sandals Carlyle and walk right to the hip strip. There is plenty of other shopping plazas and nearby tours and excursions. However we did not explore nearly as much since we honestly found so much to do and enjoy between the sandals resorts. hope this helps!

Midwest
Level Contributor
988 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need advice on deciding on where to stay in Jamaica.

Another vote for Couples Swept Away in Negril. Romantic. Terrific beach. It's on Bloody Bay, which is a quieter stretch of the Negril shore, but you're still close to off-site restaurants, nightspots, etc.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need advice on deciding on where to stay in Jamaica.

Thanks for all the feedback. Unfortunately, CSA was booked up completely! Based on other recommendations and availability, we are staying at CSS in Ocho Rios. We leave in 15 days. I can hardly wait!!

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Need advice on deciding on where to stay in Jamaica.

Mike

Excellent choice with CSS it is a wonderful property, one of our favorites in Ocho Rios.

Enjoy your time in Jamaica!