We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Where To Go

Colorado
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on Where To Go

We have always gone to Negril but looking for something a little different next time. I was thinking of either Rasta Ranch/Sea Ranch in Bluefields or Ital Rest in Treasure Beach. Any advice or comments between the 2 places? Anyone been to either? Thanks.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,876 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on Where To Go

I have visited both, spent the night at neither. Rasta/Sea Ranch is part of Horizon cottages in Bluefields. Private beach, small property, not a ton to walk to in the area if that matters, main highway is right outside the wall. Still, it's a high wall, and the property feels very private.

Ital Rest is in Great Bay, near Viking House and is not directly on the water but a short stroll to it. I like Treasure Beach area better than Bluefields area for its walkability to things to do. You can also rent a scooter and there isn't much traffic to contend with.

I did a trip report on my recent stay there...we chose a higher end place than Ital, and more central, but the TB vibe is the TB vibe...

travelsinjamaica.com/p/treasure-beach-and-so…

A visit over to Ital Rest (Viking House, but they're both right there): travelsinjamaica.com/2008/12/jamaica-days-7-… - bear in mind a hurricane had just passed in my photos, the sea ir normally MUCH calmer.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on Where To Go

I can comment on treasure beach !

Check out PON DI ROCK !!

Owned by a lovely couple.

Very Safe.

great views of the sea

A beach that's almost private...You can rent a scooter to get around this very safe and quieter area. Great for scooters......

Get more info on FACEBOOK !!

http://ponderock.com/english/ponderock_e.htm

Colorado
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on Where To Go

Thanks so much, this really helps. I was kind of leaning toward TB. Now I'm wondering what is best between Vikings & Ital Rest? In the day trip we took to TB we actually went on Vikings property but they didn't seem to like our driver from Negril, why I don't know. Now I'm going to read your trip report :)

Colorado
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on Where To Go

OMG your report is beautiful!! Now I have to watch the videos.

Colorado
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on Where To Go

I will check this out. Thanks ! I think I am really leaning toward TB.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on Where To Go

Drivers have certain areas that they are supposed to work by unwritten Law !

I have my personal drivers still take me to where I want to go---but they and I know they may get ugly stares or faces--because others feel they are stealing THEIR drivers money.

If you return again and have the local drivers information --then by all means use them...but don't fret using a certain driver on the route from the Airport to other areas.

It is what it is !!

Colorado
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on Where To Go

Very interesting! That explains the ugly stares. We liked our driver & used him for 3 trips so now I know what it is. Thanks for that info.

8. Re: Advice on Where To Go

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2014, 06:19