We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning of schedule changes for AA flights to Jamaica

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Warning of schedule changes for AA flights to Jamaica

Warning to other travelers who may have booked flights to Jamaica on American Airlines. We found out last Friday that our flight schedule was changed SIGNIFICANTLY by American. I found this by accident while booking other business travel on the AA.com site. We were not notified and our travel agent was not notified.

Our original travel was booked in December of 2012, for travel in October of 2013. Sometime since booking, American reduced their flights to Jamaica. Our original arrival time in MBJ was 1:20pm. On the reschedule it was 7:20pm. That's a big difference. Our departure from MBJ was changed from 2:55pm to 11:45am. That's another big change. What were originally great flight times have been changed to awful ones.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,309 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning of schedule changes for AA flights to Jamaica

Every year AA changes my flights to JA, usually not significantly but one year, about two years ago they changed my outbound flight from my favorite 4:00pm-ish flight (from MoBay) to my not so favorite 12:00pm-ish flight. They'd cancelled the later afternoon one all together it seems. Last year I booked that 4:00pm-ish flight out of MoBay and it stuck. To me, that gives me that many more hours in Negril. Hopefully the flight times will remain the same this year.

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,147 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning of schedule changes for AA flights to Jamaica

One thing I have discovered flying during the low period, no flights are safe from changes. My non stop out of ORD ( Chicago), with AA , last year was changed to a connecting flight via Miami, with poor times, and less then 30 minutes between flight. We literally ran , along with others , to catch our flight. They did leave some people making connections behind. The year before we flew Spirit, and they literally changed our travel dates, which was a nightmare. Then the year before that, again, American Airlines changed our non stop flight, to a connecting, but thankfully, we did not change plans.

This year I am flying Airtran, non stop from Midway. I have been checking twice a week, watching for changes ( and hoping for the best).

I try not to get too upset about the changes, because the worse for us was about 5 years ago, our flight out of Chicago with Air Jamaica was completely cancelled due to a decision to no longer fly out of ORD. We had less then 1 month to find new flights.

I know for us, when they have made changes, we have had the option to cancel our flight for a refund, and make new arrangement. Sadly, usually it is too close to travel dates to make new arrangement that will not cost an arm and a leg. You can shop for better flights, but sadly remember, the new travel arrangements you make, may also suffer changes the closer to the travel date.

Edited: 01 July 2013, 16:53
Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning of schedule changes for AA flights to Jamaica

Sad but true state of travel today.

I sign up for reports from the airlines for any travel changes..so at least I'd know if any changes take place.

If the airline doesn't offer that--hopefully travelers will check their airlines on a regular basis....so they aren't caught unaware !!

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning of schedule changes for AA flights to Jamaica

The lack of notification is my biggest issue. I understand business and the need to change flight schedules. But we should have been notified. We booked thru a travel agent, and neither of use were notified. We booked the package with Funjet. We don't yet know if American dropped the ball, or if American notified Funjet and Funjet dropped the ball. We may never know that. But somebody screwed up somewhere.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,309 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warning of schedule changes for AA flights to Jamaica

AA always sends me notification and a new itinerary when they change my flight. Note, this only happens to me on flights to/from JA and I fly with them at least once a month.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
406 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Warning of schedule changes for AA flights to Jamaica

I have always been notified by AA when they change my flight's itinerary - even for changes that are only updated by a few minutes. I would question Funjet. What a bummer!!

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Warning of schedule changes for AA flights to Jamaica

We ended up changing our flights to leave on Friday night and we now overnight in Dallas. We get into MBJ an hour earlier than the original schedule. Any other option, like using a different airline, would have cost at least $700, as we would have to cancel the package and rebook.

Edited: 01 July 2013, 20:06
nova scotia
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Warning of schedule changes for AA flights to Jamaica

For October travel, you could still experience more changes, so an auto-notification would be a great idea to sign up for... I know when we book airfare through Air Canada Vacations, when a change occurs from the airline, the vacation company handles them in order of departure, so possible they just did not get to October changes as yet.

Glad you were able to make alternate arrangements without losing an appendage!

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Warning of schedule changes for AA flights to Jamaica

I am signed up for the AA notifications. I have been for years. I do a lot of business travel, so I'm aware how things can change. In fact, I've already received a notification of a flight number change for the flights I booked on Friday. I just didn't get one for the Jamaica flights.

Ays08
Level Contributor
147 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Warning of schedule changes for AA flights to Jamaica

Thanks for the heads up, I just went and signed up for aa notifications.

When we have booked AA before it was through a third party carrier and that carrier always notified us. Changes aren't always bad, either... One time our flights changed from arriving in Mexico at 4 to arriving at noon! But usually they're bad and either way, it frustrates me that there is little to no recourse for passengers other than shelling out more money for a different ticket.