We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals Mo Bay, or Somewhere Better?

Wine Country
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sandals Mo Bay, or Somewhere Better?

We are in our early thirties returning to a Sandals for our ten year anniversary. We stayed at Sandals mo bay for our honeymoon. Upon arriving the place seemed a little run down compared to, he pics we had seen, but once we were settled in we had an amazing time. We would like to return to a sandals property this October. We loved the service and friendliness of the staff at Monday, and seeing the same couples at the swim up bar each day. We loved walking down the gorgeous beach to get to the pool each morning, me the live Jamaican music night. So I am wondering if we can get all of the above at a more updated sandals wi nicer rooms. We have stayed at secrets the vine and hated it, it was like a Vegas high rise. Our fave trip was probably dreams in cabo, a two to three story sprawling Spanish style hotel on the beach. Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
3,255 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals Mo Bay, or Somewhere Better?

So if I read correctly - you are looking for a romantic with a fun nightlife. Honestly, Sandals MoBay has tht great balance in my opinion (was there three years ago). We stayed in Bay Roc Villas (butler) in 2010 and those rooms are great. I always maintain that all I really need is working amenities in the room and for it to be clean and not completely run down. Maybe Sandals Whitehouse woulf be good for you, but its pretty isolated. The Iberostar Grand has s spanish feel and is extrmely highly rated. Plus suites next door has a pretty fun night life (you can use the suites if you stay at the grand).

near Chicago
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals Mo Bay, or Somewhere Better?

I think you would be surprised at how much SMB has been upgraded in the last ten years. Take a look at their website to see if the upgrades would be more to your liking than the Sandals of ten years ago.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals Mo Bay, or Somewhere Better?

I stayed at SMB two years ago, and it had been about twelve years since my last visit. For me, it is my second least favorite of the Sandals resorts in JA. I do not care for the airplane noise, nor the overall party atmosphere of this resort. While some areas looked better and have been refreshed, others look much the same as they did twelve years ago .I stayed in the basic room which was dark, noisy and functional but very basic. I am sure that butler category rooms are much nicer, but this is not something I am willing to pay for when in JA on vacation. Staff here was excellent though and food very good. I did a split stay with SGR and much preferred the staff and food at SMB to that of SGR.

Why not check out Sandals Whitehouse, which is much newer and very popular with Sandals fans. All rooms at SWH have a view, the beach is long and private, there are no airplanes passing overhead all day. I have not been there yet as we are fans of Negril as our favorite resort area in JA so this is not based on personal experience. I only know that SMB and SGR are my two least favorite of the Sandals resorts in JA that I have been to, which includes all but SWH.

Edited: 04 July 2013, 21:13
United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,153 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals Mo Bay, or Somewhere Better?

I do not recommend Sandals Whitehouse. We went there for the first time this year, and the rooms were very dated, and their was no nightlife at all. We were really bored most of the time, and watched The Office in our room one night and ordered room service. Not what I plan to do when I spend all the $$$ on vacation. :)

I would recommend Sandals Grande Rivera. There are lots of different room categories to choose from there, and the resort was completely renovated two years ago. The staff are awesome, you see the same people everyday (its bigger so you might not run into them as often), and there's different singers and entertainment throughout the week. We really like the Silver Birds steel drum band. They're amazing!

The beach is smaller than SMB, so if you need to take a long walk on the beach, it may not be the place for you. It was once three different resorts, so the beach is just broken up a bit by stairs and the pier. I like swimming in front of the pier because the water is really calm there. So as long as that's ok with you, I think it would be a good fit for what you're looking for.

Wine Country
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals Mo Bay, or Somewhere Better?

Thank you! So much good info. Now I have to reconsider sticking with SMB for nostalgia, trying whitehouse or grand riviera!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals Mo Bay, or Somewhere Better?

If you liked the style of Dreams Cabo and want a Sandals, then look at Sandals Negril or Whitehouse.

Or look at Couples Swept Away which has everything you are looking for on a superb beach. Low rise villa type accommodations, all with large terraces, all with morning room service, all with stocked mini bar. Fun nightlife, very good food, awesome sports complex. Our favorite in JA.

BTW, we were booked at Secrets the Vine and have cancelled after seeing it a few months ago and reading the reviews from posters I know and trust. Pretty much the opposite of what we look for on vacation, especially the loud party atmosphere.

Bracebridge, Canada
Level Contributor
247 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandals Mo Bay, or Somewhere Better?

We have been to SMB 3 times staying in the Bay Roc Villas at each visit. We have been to SGR and it places last on our list with SMB remaining in the "gem" spot. I you decide to go and decide on a butler suite request Andrea or Shaniel - you will be spoiled and have long lasting wonderful memories.

8. Re: Sandals Mo Bay, or Somewhere Better?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2014, 07:18