We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Returned from SGR--Any questions?

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
767 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Just Returned from SGR--Any questions?

Stayed on the manor side in a villa from 7-10 to 7-16. Working on review now. Let me know if you have any questions.

nova scotia
Level Contributor
2,023 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Returned from SGR--Any questions?

Eastsider, time flies by... you are back already! When we were there last, the villa living rooms were not air conditioned, nor was bathroom, just the bedroom. Was this part of the recent major upgrades/refurbishments at SGR?

Since all villas now have butler service, were there enough butlers to go around??? I was wondering since so many folks will have the butler privileges, do you think this affected the experience for concierge/club and 'regular' guests?

(looking forward to your review!)

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
767 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Returned from SGR--Any questions?

Hi Denise! Time does fly, too fast...sad to wake up in my own bed this morning and then to have to fix my own breakfast. My wife asked me where the mimosas were. I told her we were going to have to go cold turkey on those for the time being. She was not happy with me, so I told her we might have a red stripe after dinner tonight. That seemed to work.

It's hard to speak for all the villas, but the one we were in, #62, had separate air conditioners in both the living room and bedroom, each with remote controls, as well as adjustable ceiling fans. We were absolutely comfortable the whole time. Most couples we talked to seemed to be in relatively good moods and I didn't hear anyone complaining about accommodations, or anything else for that matter. I really wanted to see the inside of some of the other villas--seems like there are so many and that each is a little different.

I asked our butler how many couples she was tending to and she said between five and six. This seems like a lot to me. She was constantly on the move and taking calls, but I thought the service provided was really good. Any time we needed them they were on the way, and they were even calling to check in if they had not heard from us in awhile.

This was our first time at a Sandals with butler service. Although it was nice, we are relatively low maintenance and I think we could have definitely gotten by in a standard room. (we originally booked standard villa, but then got bumped up when all villas were "butlerized") On days when we used the butlers less, I thought we received great service from all Sandals employees. We got lost our first night while exploring the beach side and a friendly employee was more than happy to walk us to where we were going. Another time when we were standing outside the rather crowded amphitheater, an employee offered to take us to a seat. General service seemed typical of what we have come to expect from Sandals.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to book non-butler here.

Edited: 18 July 2013, 00:37
United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Returned from SGR--Any questions?

@Eastsider Welcome back! But sorry that you're home. Coming home is the hardest part!

Glad to hear you didn't need your Butler too much. We have never had a Butler there, but haven't been there since the whole villa side is Butler yet. Do the jitneys still run regularly?

@Denise Our bedroom and living has had A/C the last 3 times we were there, since 2011. The living room one is also set to know when your patio doors are open, and turns off so as to not waste energy. I thought that was pretty cool, but I see how it might frustrate some people, too. The bedroom stayed on even if the living room one turned off. You're right, the bathrooms don't have A/C, but I never even noticed, so the bedroom must cool it off enough for me.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
767 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Returned from SGR--Any questions?

Hey BSB--Thanks for the welcome back...I think trip advisor is helping me recover. :)

Jitneys seemed to be running pretty regularly (not sure how often they were running before, as this is our first time here though). We typically called our butler when we wanted a ride and then she sent us a jitney. The couple of times we decided to walk to the manor or just go for a walk there was usually a jitney that stopped to see if we wanted a ride. When we wanted to go from our manor house to our room, there was always a jitney or three sitting and waiting for passengers. Maybe our last night we came back really late and there wasn't a jitney and we decided to walk? That's a little foggy in my mind...Rides were never a problem though. Oh, there was a phone at the "jitney stop" by our villa that you could call from if you wanted.

Busses to the beach side were very regular. Almost half the time they were there when we got there.

Ocala, Florida
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios, Negril, Montego Bay
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Returned from SGR--Any questions?

We have always had an AC unit in the bedroom and the living room when staying in the villas ---and we return in September for our 11th visit in the last 4 years.

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Returned from SGR--Any questions?

@Eastsider That is how the jitneys usually were. I was afraid they'd cut back on them when they added all the Butlers. Glad they haven't! :)

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
767 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Returned from SGR--Any questions?

Oh good. We saw a lot of butlers driving people on golf carts, but as there were four of us, we would need a jitney unless we wanted to split up.

The air conditioners we had, if I'm remembering correctly, were the same as the ones we had at Whitehouse. They seemed sort of fancy, quiet, and effective. We never had to adjust ours the whole time we were there. It was set at the perfect comfort level.

Also, in terms of comfort, our bed and pillows were exceptionally comfortable.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
358 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Returned from SGR--Any questions?

24 hours and we are on our way to SGR! :)))

I wondered about towels- Does housekeeping replenish beach towels so you have them for the shared pool when you stay in the villas?

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
767 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Returned from SGR--Any questions?

Almost there TFW07!!! There were beach towels in our room specifically for the shared villa. If you put them in your bathtub in the morning they should be replaced. We ended up hanging them on our balcony and reusing them quite often though. We also grabbed them a couple nights and took them to the manor pool for late night swims! :)

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
90 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just Returned from SGR--Any questions?

I'm going to SGR in November for my honeymoon and staying in a butler villa, which category did you stay in? I've read some reviews saying that Sandals allows venders to set up somewhere on the resort once a week, is this true? I'd like to buy some local stuff but I have a feeling I'll have such bad sand gravity that I won't want to actually leave the resort LOL Also, did you eat at Kelly's Dockside? Is it butler only or can anyone make a reservation? I'm just wondering how hard it will be to get a reservation there. Thanks!! Can't wait to read the review.