We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wood statues

indiana
Level Contributor
133 posts
269 reviews
Save Topic
Wood statues

Hello everybody!!!! I'm leaving very soon for negril Jamaica and staying at the riu tropical bay! I believe there are two shopping plazas in the area? I'm a huge fan of tall wooden statues made by local craftsman! Didn't know if anyone could help!!

Virginia
Level Contributor
908 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wood statues

Vendors of such items will be usually allowed to sell them on-site at Riu a few days per week. The one time we stayed at Riu Tropical Bay they had some of them in the gift shop there as well. If you take a shopping trip into Negril there will be several options. I think that the vendor area not far up Manley BLVD from Riu Tropical Bay also has some most days.

Best of luck!

indiana
Level Contributor
133 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wood statues

Thank you so much

United States
Level Contributor
11,378 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wood statues

From the RIU Palace Tropical Bay you can turn right on the beach and walk North about 150 yards. There you will find a number of beach vendors. Some of them sell premade carvings.

You can also exit the front of the RIU and walk South along the road about 250 yards. There you will find the Rutland Point Craft Market. A number of the shops will sell you premade carvings. In addition, there is one man with a shop who is there most days and who makes the carvings at the craft market. He sells his own premade carvings. In addition, if you do not see what you are looking for then you may want to commission him to make a carving to order for you.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wood statues

club: FYI there are pack and wrap services available in the airline check in area in Sangster International airport. Nominal fee involved. We were worried about getting one of our large wooden statues home because it wouldn't fit in the overhead compartment. Had it wrapped up tight and then sent it as checked baggage. Safe and sound.

indiana
Level Contributor
133 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wood statues

Awesome awesome !!!! Thank you so much for all your info!!!!

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wood statues

As a p.s. to my #4 post above...we also declared the statue on our US customs declaration form on re-entry into the US because there was no way we couldn't not declare it into the country since it was huge and didn't fit in our luggage...and the US customs agents didn't bat an eyelash.

7. Re: Wood statues

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2014, 06:19