We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandal Montegay Bay or SGR

NC
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Sandal Montegay Bay or SGR

Hi All,

I have already booked my trip to SGR for next year but have run into a snag while planning our family vacation. So far our preference for a family vacation would be Beaches Ocho Rios. This is mostly due to the watersports, size of resort, and teen club.

Considering they are owned by the same company would I want to visit OR twice? I should also state these trips will be no more than 3-4 weeks a part. It seems easier to move the location of our anniversary trip vs family vacation but I put in a lot of research and was looking forward to SGR. We are also AI newbies.

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,107 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandal Montegay Bay or SGR

I don't know if there's a right or wrong answer to that. Beaches OR and SGR are going to be very different in ambiance alone. SGR is very big by itself, so you definitely won't run out of things to do. Are you going to do lots of excursions? There are lots in the Ocho Rios area. The ride to both resorts is going to be about two hours though, so you might not want to take that ride again so soon? SMB is really close to the airport ( across the street actually) so you get there very quickly, but you can also hear the planes taking off which bothers some people. At SMB, you can also visit SRC and SCI on their free shuttles. I really think SGR is worth the trip, and it is definitely a bigger resort with more to do. I can totally see you not wanting to take the same bus ride twice though. Is switching to Beaches Negril for the Beaches trip an option?

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,501 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandal Montegay Bay or SGR

I say don't change your plans...keep your reservation at SGR since you were so looking forward to it. We did 3 trips to SWH on the south coast in 3 months (Nov, Jan/Feb, Feb/Mar) and in fact the last two trips were only 3 weeks apart.

As BSBgirl mentions, there is lots to do and see in the area of OR, and what you do with your family might be different than what you choose to do for your anniversary trip. Have fun!

Ocala, Florida
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios, Negril, Montego Bay
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandal Montegay Bay or SGR

I would say stay with SGR also --- that is our favorite resort. We went over to SMB in February while staying at SRC --- we were ready to leave after an hour but only stayed to have lunch with a staff member we know. The planes were frequent and flew low --- the staff stops what they are doing when the planes go over and waves at them. I know SMB has the highest return guests and a lot of people love it, but we did not care for it.

NC
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandal Montegay Bay or SGR

Thanks for all the feedback. I do plan to keep my trip to SGR as I like the resort and excursions I wanted to do with my husband.

If I can get over the thought of another round of 90-120 min rides for a second time, I'll take the kids to Beaches Ocho as well. I really would like to do the Reading trip with them.

5. Re: Sandal Montegay Bay or SGR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2014, 06:22