We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Escaping the Cold to Jamaica - Tips for staying healthy

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
3,019 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Escaping the Cold to Jamaica - Tips for staying healthy

I never really thought of this before too much becasue to me there is no better place to shake a winter head cold than on a beach chair in Jamaica breathing the sea air. However, when we leave home it can be anywhere from -20 to -40+++. When we go in January, my 12 year old will be doing her open water portion of her Junior PADI scuba certification. She casually mentioned to me that she sure hopes she isn't sick when we go to Jamaica in Jan (becasue if she has a cold, especialy head or sinus she cant dive).

So, I thought I would ask your tips - what do you do in the dead of winter to try to stay healthy before you head south? We eat really healthy so I will be sure to keep the healthy food coming before we go (fruits, veggies, whole grains, etc). And of course, keeping hydtrated with water. But is there anything else you do (such as preventative medicines) that I could consult my dr./pharm about? Cheers! Too Cold

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,594 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Escaping the Cold to Jamaica - Tips for staying healthy

Too_Cold....my worst fear is getting sick before we travel...we've almost had to cancel one of our trips because I came down with a bronchial infection a few days before leaving. So now I always start taking ColdFX about two weeks prior to our trips. I have no idea if it really works, but at least it makes me feel that I'm doing something extra to stay healthy!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Escaping the Cold to Jamaica - Tips for staying healthy

Too_Cold,

I sure you do that also but, the main one for me is hygiene, wash your hands often. Keep those germs away. The kids travel the buses....waaaaaaaaaaaa ok, I am not a germophobe...but just more alert before we go on vacation. We do not sky a couple of weeks before also, just in case. ;).

I am sure some people will tell you echinacea helps. I also get vaccinated...but I know I am not opening a can of worm with that statement.

Hopefully, it will all be good.

Alex

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
3,019 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Escaping the Cold to Jamaica - Tips for staying healthy

Thanks for the tips.

Travelpair - I was going to ask about Cold FX. I have never taken but have heard great things.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,319 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Escaping the Cold to Jamaica - Tips for staying healthy

I do what I do all year 'round - eat right, excersize regularly. I don't start taking immune boosters until AFTER I get to Jamaican, usually right before Christmas when I've acclimated but all the tourists are coming down with their bugs...still it has happened to people I know who have caught something or another on the plane or by being in a large group of people who just flew in with the sniffles.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,639 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Escaping the Cold to Jamaica - Tips for staying healthy

I usually start taking "Air-Borne" or something like it about two weeks or so before we go. I do what I can before hand, but I'm more worried about being on the plane with someone who may have something.

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,116 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Escaping the Cold to Jamaica - Tips for staying healthy

I think if there was a magical way to not get sick, we'd all do it all the time. : )

7. Re: Escaping the Cold to Jamaica - Tips for staying healthy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2014, 05:18