We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty Free simple question ?

WINNIPEG
Level Contributor
189 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Duty Free simple question ?

my ? is if I buy my duty free booze when I leave CANADA can I still buy more booze at the Mbay airport duty free ? And not have to pay any duty on it ?

thanks

Labrador City, NL...
Level Contributor
594 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty Free simple question ?

Interesting question. Just wondering why you would buy duty free leaving Canada? If it's to consume in Jamaica you will not pay duty, but if you return I believe it would be part of your allowance being brought in, though I can't be 100% sure of that. Why not just buy it all in Mbay?

Labrador City, NL...
Level Contributor
594 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty Free simple question ?

From the Canadian Gov't web site:

When you return to Canada

When you return to Canada, you have to declare all of the goods you acquired while outside Canada, such as purchases, gifts, prizes or awards that you are bringing with you or are having shipped to you. Include goods that are still in your possession that you bought at a Canadian or foreign duty-free shop. As well, make sure you declare any repairs or alterations you made to your vehicle, vessel or aircraft while you were out of the country.

If you aren't sure if an article is admissible or should be declared, always declare it first and then ask the border services officer. Remember that officers are there to help you and will work out your personal exemption and any duty and taxes you owe in the way that benefits you most.

United States
Level Contributor
11,480 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty Free simple question ?

Good question. I would guess that it depends on how much you buy and how much of it you drink in Jamaica and how much you want bring back into Canada. For a better answer try calling the following:

Canada Customs 2000 Wellington Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba, phone (204) 983-6716. They are open 24 hours a day to answer your question.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
3,072 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty Free simple question ?

Treewacker -

Do you mean when you leave canada, purchasing duty free to take to Jamaica and when you are leaving Jamaica purchasing duty free to come back to Canada? If so, I beleive the answer is Yes. Cheers - Too_Cold.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty Free simple question ?

I believe the OP is asking about buying additional duty free when arriving in Jamaica, not leaving.

WINNIPEG
Level Contributor
189 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duty Free simple question ?

Blues_Pirate has it right I want to know if I can take with me my duty free from CANADA and purchase more at duty free arriving in JA . Without paying duty .I know what I can bring back into CANADA

THANKS

WINNIPEG
Level Contributor
189 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Duty Free simple question ?

bump

Labrador City, NL...
Level Contributor
594 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Duty Free simple question ?

I may be wrong about this but I don't think you can buy duty free when you arrive in a country ? If I'm understanding your question right you want to buy duty free on your way to Jamaica and add more when you get there to drink while down there? If so like I said I doubt you can enter a duty free in mbay upon arrival.

Lansdowne...
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Duty Free simple question ?

truehabsfan there are now some countries that have "duty free on arrival" - and one has JUST recently been opened in Jamaica.

nova scotia
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Duty Free simple question ?

Tree... you can import into Jamaica 2L liquor free from duty.

Enjoy!