We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time trip to Sandals Grand Riviera

NorthEast PA
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time trip to Sandals Grand Riviera

My wife and I decided to book a last minuet trip to SGR on October 15, We booked a Riviera Honeymoon Beachfront Penthouse Club Room. Just looking for advice and comments on everything I guess. This is out 3rd trip to a Sandals, we have been to St Lucia, and Antigua a few years back.

Questions:

How is the weather normally in mid October?

How are the pool bars? We LOVE the pool bars..

How is the night life? Normally we always want to go out at night and drink & have fun, but we end up being dead tired and in bed by 10 lol.

Any people come up to the resort beach and offer jet skis? Atv beach rides? ect, ect?

How are the rooms/ has anyone else stayed in this room cat?

Do Sandals Select Members normally get an upgrade if the resort has the room? Would they ever upgrade to a butler cat room?

Airline: We are flying Caribbean Air , direct flight from JFK we will land at Montego Bay at 8:25AM so we have great flight times. We don’t leave till 6:40PM. Anyone enjoy this airline? do they have Movies? or screens in the seats? I hate that they do not have 1st class seats, I am trying to Upgrade to business class. Is it worth upgrading?

Any and all advice means a lot.

Thanks

Ocala, Florida
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios, Negril, Montego Bay
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time trip to Sandals Grand Riviera

Have not stayed in October but it is still hurricane season. The pool bars are great---there are 3 of them with the largest being at the Manor pool . They have nightly shows starting around 9:00--- after that there are 2 piano bars and the party gets started at Jaimies around 11:00. We have been upgraded here almost every time including our current stay --- I never ask for an upgrade and always book the room I will be happy with. Have never stayed in your room category but all of the rooms have been renovated. There are only 4 butler rooms on the beach side which are some of the most expensive, so if they upgraded you to butler it would probably be on the hillside.

NorthEast PA
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First time trip to Sandals Grand Riviera

mficke0713--Thanks for the reply. I really can not wait to get there. I do know that Riviera rooms are much more and I think we have the best room before a butler suite. We are really stuck on having an ocean front room and that is why we booked the room we did. I am waiting as I know sometimes Sandals might send a last minuet offer to upgrade. I would not take an upgrade if it were to move us to the hill as we love being "on" the beach. Thanks again for the info!!

Medford, New York
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time trip to Sandals Grand Riviera

I take the same flights our of JFK. We always fly business class. We feel its worth the extra money for reasons like extra leg room and also more seat room. We flew economy once but it was very tight and we are both thin lol.

Regarding SGR, we both loved it there and yes there were jet ski vendors. As far as ATV island routes offers a few different tours I think.

We are headed to Sandals Negril on September 28th for 10 days then back to SGR in January for 10 days. Can't wait! Have a great trip!

NorthEast PA
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: First time trip to Sandals Grand Riviera

Great to hear!!!

I was very nervous about our flights and have now heard a few people who take the same flights and feel much better now. We can not wait this is our 1st trip with out our 6 children in about 5 years!!!! WELL NEEDED vacation! I am sure its going to be amazing.

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,108 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time trip to Sandals Grand Riviera

Nightlife at SGR is the best. We are always out late, and there's always other people out with us. It's so big that you can always find other people. We like the Polo Lounge best, but Ethel's for a sing along is great, too. Jamie's will probably have a crown on Sunday and Monday for football.

If you get an upgrade to Butler level, it would be unlikely to be on the Riviera side since they are the higher priced rooms over there. I'd expect to stay in the room you booked (or an upgrade with no Butler) if you want to stay on that side. If you get upgraded, well then lucky you! LOL!

NorthEast PA
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: First time trip to Sandals Grand Riviera

Great...I really can not wait!

I really would not mind getting an upgrade to a better room on the riviera side, but would not let them move me to the manor side as to us that would be a downgrade. Not saying its not nice, I am sure its great but for us we want to be "on the beach". We booked and paid for the room that we wanted and anything up from there would be great but if not we will be happy with where we are. From what I have seen it looks as there are only 2 better rooms on the riviera side from the room we have.

Has anyone stayed in the Riviera Honeymoon Beachfront Penthouse Club Room??

Please if you have post on here what you thought of the room.

Thanks

7. Re: First time trip to Sandals Grand Riviera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2014, 05:17