We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montego Bay Sandals Resorts

Havertown...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Montego Bay Sandals Resorts

Hi!

Has anyone stayed recently at Montego Bay Sandals resort in Jamaica? I have some questions, wanted to see if someone could help me!

1.) Do they serve champagne (or sparkling wine) at this resort? I heard it may be the only resort that doesn't?!

2.) are teh outlets standard?

3.) Has anyone stayed at the lowest category room, we are booked 2nd floor of the Oleander bldg.

4.) What are the water sports like? Can you go at anytime or are they certain times?

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,162 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montego Bay Sandals Resorts

Can you pay a little more and get the next level of rooms? I have heard they did some renovations of these rooms, but that can not change the fact they have no balcony and imo in an undesirable location ( due to noise from the restaurants and the pool). However, if those things do not bother you, you should be fine. It is however in a nice centralized location.

Havertown...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montego Bay Sandals Resorts

We are on a strict budget, so we are trying to stay for a little as possible. Our travel agent put in for an upgrade for our anniversary, but who knows.

That is why I am concerned about champagne/sparkling wine....sounds silly, but it's my drink of choice, can't drink wine and beer all night, that's the only thing I can drink. I read somewhere this is the ONLY Sandals resort that doesn't offer it, you have to pay $$ for it! Crazy! Sparkling wine is the same cost as some wines! So that is a concern of mine.

Michigan
Level Contributor
117 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montego Bay Sandals Resorts

When we were at SMB last summer they had champagne/sparkline wine. The lowest room category here, the one you booked, is the only one without a balcony. If you are "okay" with that, then great, but if not then spend the few extra bucks to move up to the 2nd lowest level category where you are guaranteed a balcony. They are in the building behind the piano pool bar, also a good location.

Havertown...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montego Bay Sandals Resorts

thank you so much for the info! you have eased my mind...yes I def would like a room with a balcony, but we are really on a budget, trying to ssave $$ wherever possible. Thank you for letting me know about the sparkling wine/champagne! HEres to hoping for an upgrade as well!

New England
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montego Bay Sandals Resorts

We booked the lowest at SGR. It's also in a busier part of one of the hotel buildings, BUT we are not at all concerned. For us a vacation is not about hanging out in our room. We know we will only be there to change clothes, quick lay-downs and sleeping. If you like or want to be in your room more, you might seriously consider modifying your stay to suit those needs better. If you will be active out within the resort, I don't think you will have a problem :) it's vacation... In JAMAICA MON!

Edited: 18 September 2013, 20:07
nova scotia
Level Contributor
1,975 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montego Bay Sandals Resorts

If you decide to turn in early one night, make sure you have ear plugs to drown out the evening entertainment held in the theatre in the same building (not directly below you though). Stayed at SGR years ago and was right above the breakfast restaurant and was more bothered with the noise then and the smell of bacon at 4am!

For the extra $30-$40 a night, why not upgrade and be guaranteed your balcony!

Enjoy

Chambersburg...
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Montego Bay Sandals Resorts

That is one thing I will say that made us happy we booked SRC instead of mobay. As fun and lively as mobay is...it was nice to visit but be able to return to our quiet, chill resort. Plus I think the atmosphere and property layout is much more romantic and secluded than mobay.

Havertown...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Montego Bay Sandals Resorts

thanks everyone! I am open to any and all suggestions! We are DEFINITLY in the more lively-people department..we usually drag ourselves home at 3am. And even tho it may not seem alot to upgrade, we seriously are at budget so we can't upgrade. Im hoping against hope that we get a balcony just from a free upgrade! One can always dream!haha

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Montego Bay Sandals Resorts

Meghan D: Mrs. SRCFan pretty much once daylight ends drinks only sparkling wine...and we often visit SMB. If SMB didn't serve it...well that might be a problem. LOL :) Champagne (as in the strict definition of the term) it isn't, but Mrs. SRCFan finds it palatable. Sparkling wine is a much more accurate verbal descrtiption.

Also, the 3 Sandals properties in Montego Bay are very different in terms of size, vibe, and certain features. So if this is your first Sandals visit to Mo' Bay, then we encourage you to check out the other two properties either for dining or during the day time. We were die hard Mo' Bay visitors until we visited SRC and then...we ventured over there one day, and well, the rest is history. Nothing against Mo' Bay, if SRC didn't exist...Mo' Bay would be our favorite Sandals property in Jamaica....but for us SRC check all our boxes.

That's the beauty of the stay at 1, play at 3 program. Lots of diversity.

near Chicago
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Montego Bay Sandals Resorts

1. Yes, SMB has champagne. It's not bad, either.

2. Outlets are the same as in the US.

3. Years ago, we stayed in that lowest category room. I did miss a balcony but, it didn't make or break the vacation. Like you, I was on a budget. I don't have to be on that tight budget any longer so I book a room with a balcony.

4. As far as watersports..........I believe everything is on a schedule. I know the snorkeling and the diving is on a schedule.

Have a great time.