We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking at Resorts/Hotels in Jamaica - Update What You Know

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
3,072 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Smoking at Resorts/Hotels in Jamaica - Update What You Know

I have seen so many threads and questions about Jamaica and the new smoking laws and how they are being interpreted and applied at the various resorts/hotels. So, I thought why not start a thread where you can just post that type of info for resort - this is helpful for the smokers and non-smokers. The smokers will know where they can smoke, and the non-smokers will no where there is less smoking allowed. I just saw a post that at the Gran Bahia Principe you can only smoke on the beach. Be sure to include the resort name, as much info of where you can and cannot smoke and how recent your informaiton is (in case there is an update). Cheers - Too Cold.

Brantford
Level Contributor
623 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoking at Resorts/Hotels in Jamaica - Update What You Know

I am the one who posted about the Gran Bahia Principe being NO SMOKING. I e mailed to confirm their policy , I also phoned them personally today to verify as we are smokers and almost booked this resort. The person on the phone went to head person while I was on hold and INDEED, there is NO SMOKING except at the beach , off the resort. Im sure glad I looked into this as it would have ruined our holiday for sure. So Beware if you are smokers.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
883 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoking at Resorts/Hotels in Jamaica - Update What You Know

A good idea Too-cold ,

just hope it doesn`t get hijacked by the anti-smoking brigade .

We are going to the Grand Palladium next week, I emailed the hotel to find out what their policy is ;

" smoking is not allowed in bedrooms, restaraunts & enclosed areas "

We have no problem with that at all .

Hope this helps someone else ,

regards.

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
255 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoking at Resorts/Hotels in Jamaica - Update What You Know

My friend works on the resort just sent email to find out all the info will post back when there is a reply

Brantford
Level Contributor
623 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoking at Resorts/Hotels in Jamaica - Update What You Know

Thanks Michelleo123... that might be very helpful as you were there way before this new no smoking ban came into place, which was July this year. I totally would get no smoking in rooms, restaurants and enclosed areas but out in the open air would be a bit much. Will be looking for your answer as we still have not booked.

Ocala, Florida
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios, Negril, Montego Bay
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoking at Resorts/Hotels in Jamaica - Update What You Know

We are at Sandals Grand Riviera and there has been hardly any change except for no smoking signs in some areas . You can still smoke on your balcony, at the pools and on the beach.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
3,072 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smoking at Resorts/Hotels in Jamaica - Update What You Know

I like this idea and I think it is equally important to smokers and non-smokers as non-smokers may prefer a resort with less smoking areas. I really think it isn't a great idea to limit smoking (such as at the Gran Bahia Principe) to just the beach - the beach will end up being a mess :(

Brantford
Level Contributor
623 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Smoking at Resorts/Hotels in Jamaica - Update What You Know

TOO COLD, I totally agree.... I just received a 3rd confirmation from the Bahia stating that there is NO smoking in any open area on the resort EXCEPT the beach. We as smokers are not going to have to walk to beach every time we want a smoke. Im not paying all that money for a holiday and cant enjoy our smokes.

Oxford, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Smoking at Resorts/Hotels in Jamaica - Update What You Know

But.... other people do not want to enjoy your smokes. Its all about respect for others.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
3,072 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smoking at Resorts/Hotels in Jamaica - Update What You Know

oxforddawg10 - this will be a great thread for you to follow, then as I understand from other posts you do not like smoke. Hopefully, you will be able to find good fits for resorts that have tightened up the smoking sections significantly.

Ocala, Florida
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios, Negril, Montego Bay
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Smoking at Resorts/Hotels in Jamaica - Update What You Know

@oxfordawg10 --- respect goes both ways.