We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Hip Strip vs. 7 mile beach in Negril???????

ottaw
1 post
Save Topic
The Hip Strip vs. 7 mile beach in Negril???????

My wife and I are going to Jamaica in mid-October. We have been to resorts in Mexico and Cuba and we usually enjoy the resort, but find night life rather boring. We have been to many a empty "discotheque" We want to be able to go somewhere to dance etc and have fun late at night so we have something to recover from in the morning on the beach. Hedonism seems to have the party vibe, but we'd prefer a party vibe with less public humping.

So, we have found hotels on both the 7 mile beach in Negril (Seawind) and one on the "hip strip" (Royal Decameron) in Montego. Any suggestions about the hotels, or just as importantly - which area is more fun at night and actually has people (I realize we are travelling in down season)

And knowing nothing about Jamaica at all, I am wondering about the safety of going out in any of these places at night.

Thanks for your help!

United States
Level Contributor
11,264 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Hip Strip vs. 7 mile beach in Negril???????

"which area is more fun at night and actually has people"

The 'Hip Strip' in Montego Bay is a mixture of shops and night spots. It runs for about 1 mile south from the Royal Decameron. In Negril, 7 Mile Beach is 7 miles long but the part you are looking for is the southern 2 1/2 miles or so. This part of the beach has fewer shops and more night spots than the 'Hip Strip'. If your major requirement is lots of nightlife then I would go to Negril.

Lancaster, Pa.
Level Contributor
173 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Hip Strip vs. 7 mile beach in Negril???????

I felt safe walking down the hip strip to Margaretta Ville. The place was pretty dead.That was in Oct.of 2011.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
828 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Hip Strip vs. 7 mile beach in Negril???????

In Montego Bay Pier One is a good place to go Friday nights and Maragaritaville is good Thursday nights (ladies night) and Saturday night. Margaritaville is a safe walk from Royal Decameron. Pier One is a very short cab ride away, or the hotel may have a shuttle to Pier One. There are other clubs and restaurants along The Hip Strip to check out. The Jungle is Negril is a big club that is very busy on Thursday nights. It isn't really a safe walk Seawind to The Jungle, but it is just a short cab ride. Awhile back someone posted on a thread about nightlife in Negril, here is the link:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147313-i70-k65996…

Keep in mind that alot of the big clubs, like Pier One, Margaritaville in MoBay and The Jungle really don't get busy until after midnight. Local people party after midnight until 4:00am, 5:00am....

4. Re: The Hip Strip vs. 7 mile beach in Negril???????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2014, 05:18