We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals Butler Service - Yes or No?

Calgary
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Sandals Butler Service - Yes or No?

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can provide some insight as to whether the butler services Sandals provides (particularly at White House and Royal Plantation) is something that is worth considering. As a fairly independent individual, I generally like to 'do' things on my own (unpack my own bags, book my own reservations etc...), my fiancee on the other hand probably would enjoy being waited on 24/7. Also the fact that this is probably one of the only times I'll ever have a butler seems like an opportunity one should jump on....

My general fears with going with butler service include:

-I don't want to have someone following me around 24/7...seems kind of like an invasion of privacy (I understand that we are provided cell phones to call on the butlers...this seems like it would significantly reduce that invasion of privacy but I feel like I'll always have a haunting suspicion that I'll be constantly interrupted with knocks on the doors and phone calls)

-Extra cost for the butler suites - not just the increase in the room per day price (which I am aware excludes RP since all rooms have butler service) but also the tipping for things that I feel like I could easily do myself.

So in summary. Butler service - is it something that needs to be experienced? Is it worth the extra $$? Is it for me/my fiancee? All advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Labrador City, NL...
Level Contributor
594 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals Butler Service - Yes or No?

I was in the same situation and the wonderful people here on TA convinced me to go for it. First off the butlers are only as present as you want them to be. Talking to my travel agent she told me that they get the feeling right away how much you want to be tended on. Secondly , the butler rooms at whithouse are renovated and the nicest ones on the property.

As I said I had the same reservations as you and actually today I went ahead and booked the butler room. I'm sure I'll have no regrets. You only live once so why not go for it !!!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
152 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals Butler Service - Yes or No?

Be assured the butler service will not be any more involved in your vacation than you dictate. Don't forget they are also looking after up to 6 other couples at the same time.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals Butler Service - Yes or No?

One thing that is rarely pointed out is that your butlers are also your direct contact with the resort for any issues, questions, or concerns that you may run across while at the resort. No waiting at the front desk … waiting on the phone for help … and most know the local area well and can point you in the right direction when you leave the resort confines.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,870 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals Butler Service - Yes or No?

Regarding tipping the butlers - most of us wait to tip them at checkout time, so don't feel that you need to tip them every time they do something for you. We always bring a thank-you card and write a personal note to each of them, and include their tip in it. We check with them as to when their day off is so that we won't miss giving them the card on our last/second to last day.

The little extras that you don't even think about are very special. Coming back to your suite and finding a bubble bath and champagne on ice waiting for you, or a snack with drinks while getting ready for dinner, or prepping your table at dinner with fresh flowers decorated just for you - and so much more - are examples of the special things they do for you. Your fiancee will love it, and seriously you probably will too!

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,152 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals Butler Service - Yes or No?

The question of "worth it" can only be decided by you. The answer is highly personal. Butlers do two categories of things. Problem resolution is one. For example, real time this week during our visit to SRC, the light bulb blew in our closet. One mention to the Butler and it was repaired immediately. We've had other things go wrong in a major way too over the years and one call and all is fixed. Where they excel ate the special things they can do to make your visit more enjoyable. Today, rather than room service breakfast, we're having our's on the beach. All arranged by our Butler.

Worth it? For us, our SRC Butlers and friends Ellis and Hughill are one of the primary reasons we just booked our 14th SRC visit.

Worth it for you? Only your experience can answer that.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,489 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals Butler Service - Yes or No?

Hi Andrew...we too are independent folks and wondered whether butler level was worth it for us. My hubby in particular did not want to have anyone "hovering" over us. We've stayed butler level at 5 Sandals resorts and I have to say, it is really a nice treat! We've had some wonderful butlers...professional yet with a great sense of humour. They do not at all invade your privacy, yet are sure to check on you if they haven't heard anything from you in a while.

Is a butler necessary to enjoy your stay at Sandals? Not at all...you will have great service no matter which category. But it sure is nice to do if it is in the budget and won't break the bank. At SWH, the butler level rooms are the largest with a separate living room, so your sleeping area is very private. Also, the balconies are larger than those in other categories.

If you do decide on butler level...perhaps it would be a nice surprise for your fiancee? Keep it a secret from her until you arrive and your butler greets you! She would love it!

Edited: 27 September 2013, 16:14
Calgary
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandals Butler Service - Yes or No?

Thanks everyone for the replies! I will have to think on this! =)

Labrador City, NL...
Level Contributor
594 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandals Butler Service - Yes or No?

I liked this little video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATd0DbTMHy0

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,489 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandals Butler Service - Yes or No?

great video reference truehabs....and just for those who are new to the Whitehouse, since that video was made, the butler rooms have all been refurbished with new paint, soft furnishings and flat screen tv's!

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
752 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sandals Butler Service - Yes or No?

Yes great vid thanks....any for SGR lol...