We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with destination wedding location

3 posts
Save Topic
Need help with destination wedding location

I'm having a hard time narrowing down on where to stay at for our destination wedding. We want somewhere that is kid friendly, not too expensive (we don't want our guests to pay more than 1,000-1,400 each including flights), not a huge, huge resort, we want one that is all inclusive, has tvs in the rooms, and has a wedding coordinator on staff. Kids and family will be staying 3-4 nights and we plan on staying 6-7 nights. I also am thinking the area of Jamaica with the cliffs would not be as good for us unless they have a good beach area. Our kids will be 2 and almost 5. We are planning this for April 2015. Thanks!

United States
Level Contributor
11,838 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with destination wedding location

"we don't want our guests to pay more than 1,000-1,400 each including flights"

Where will they fly from (Miami?, Vancouver?, Tokyo?, or somewhere else?)?

"not a huge, huge resort"

What is your idea as to the number of rooms in a hotel that is not too huge for you?

"I also am thinking the area of Jamaica with the cliffs would not be as good for us unless they have a good beach area."

The only major tourist area with cliffs is the south end of Negril. All other major tourist areas, including the northern half of Negril, will have a beach without cliffs.

"We are planning this for April 2015."

Jamaica has two tourist seasons: 'high season' (read high priced) and 'low season'). The seasons change in Jamaica on or about April 15 of every year. You can save 30%, 40% or even 50% for the same room at the same resort if you can wait until 'low season' in the later half of the month.

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with destination wedding location

Lmocca

As vinnie mentions plan your time of travel during the last 2 weeks of April, you and your guests will get much more for $$ spent.

Check out Jewel Runaway Bay.

Welcome to the Trip Advisor Jamaica forums and congratulations by the way!

3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with destination wedding location

I just requested a quote from Jewel! We are thing the week of 4/19 so that's perfect for us! We are flying from St. Louis. Riu is too big. Not sure room numbers exactly but that one is huge.

United States
Level Contributor
11,838 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with destination wedding location

If you are looking for a smaller resort you might also look at Franklin D Resort which is next to the Jewel. FDR is very family friendly, not near any cliffs, within your budget and has a wedding coordinator on staff.

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with destination wedding location

Lmocca

The Jewel is a nice size resort, not too big & not too small offering something for everyone, adults & kids alike. Scott, the manager of the resort is an active member on the TA forums and is always looking out for guest satisfaction. Cocotel is a frequent guest of the Jewel and provides excellent information on the Runaway Bay forums as well. If you have any specific questions about the Jewel post them in the Runaway Bay forum for more responses. Posting in the Jamaica forum is a good start though to get a wide range of ideas of resorts on the island.

The Jewel Runaway Bay in my opinion & experience has the nicest beach area of all if the major resort areas on the north coast. The 7 Mile Beach in Negril is of course my favorite, but as you mentioned the RIU Tropical Bay in Negril on the Bloody Bay section of 7 Mile is a large property, so not what you are looking for. It is great you are planning ahead and researching now.

One other resort in Negril to keep an eye on as you are traveling in 2015 is the Azul Sensatori Negril. Currently now under a total transformation from the old Beaches Sandy Bay, then Seashore Bay Resort and looks to be a nice addition to family resorts in Negril with an adult only section. Most likely it will price higher than the Jewel, but worth a look as you might sneak up on an early booking discount or grand opening special. Keep an eye out in the Negril forum for updates on this property. The Azul Sensatori, a Karisma resort, is located on a superb stretch of beach on the Long Bay section of 7 Mile.

Enjoy your research, you have chosen a wonderful island for your destination wedding!

Edited: 08 October 2013, 04:41
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with destination wedding location

I just looked at the Kashima property last night. I was wondering if I could get an early booking discount. Their weddings look fantastic. Thank you!

7. Re: Need help with destination wedding location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2014, 05:19