We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decisions,decisions!!

Oshawa, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Decisions,decisions!!

Going to Jamaica next December with another couple. First time away without kids!! Looking for an all inclusive without children or with adult only section. Of course, good food, great beach and fun!! Can't travel too far from airport as husband had back surgery and driving far from hotel not really an option. Any suggestions??

United States
Level Contributor
10,975 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Decisions,decisions!!

"Can't travel too far from airport as husband had back surgery and driving far from hotel not really an option."

This means that you are looking for a hotel in Montego Bay as most of the other resorts on the island will be 30 min. to over 2 hr., one way, from the airport.

"great beach"

This is something you cannot find in Montego Bay. The beaches at Mo Bay resorts are OK but nothing more.

"fun!!"

Can you define what this term means to you? I know what it means to me but your idea of fun may differ.

What is your budget? Is that per person or for two people?, for how many days (nights in hotel)?, including or not including air (I assume from YYZ)? Also, are you thinking of a visit during 'low season' (before Dec 15), or during 'high season' (after Dec.15) when prices can go up by 25%, 30%, 50% or more for the same room at the same hotel?

"Any suggestions?"

Some places to look at, just a starting point, include the Iberostar Grand, Secrets St. James, and Sandals Royal Caribbean.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Decisions,decisions!!

If you can spend a bit more, you can fly to Negril from MoBay in 15 minutes. That is where the great beaches are.

Couples Swept Away is on a fabulous beach, has lots of inclusions, a great sports complex, good nightlife and is in easy proximity to the lots of off resort nightlife. Good food, great resort.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,180 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Decisions,decisions!!

Also, the road to Negril is in very good shape even though the ride is 1.25 hours. If you tell the driver of your husbands back issues, he will make the ride easier for you (mean no sudden breaking or sudden lane switch). The scenery to Negril is breath taking.

New England
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Decisions,decisions!!

There are three Sandals properties in Montego Bay. They offer a stay-at-one, play-at-three. If you book a stay at Sandals Montego Bay, Royal Carribean, or Carlyle Inn, you can take a shuttle around to the other resorts and use the facilities and restaurants of each!

Each of the resorts is unique. Montego Bay is lively and entertaining, Royal Carribean has a private island! And the Carlyle is an intimate inn in the town. Neither are more than 15 min from the airport.

Sandals offers three levels of room categories, each with their own levels of service. Sandals are all inclusive and provide lots of opportunity to do what you like. Snorkel, eat, drink, play games, relax, etc!

Good luck and have fun wherever you go! :)

Hallsville, Missouri
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Decisions,decisions!!

I think it depends on your experiences and expectations. We live in a landlocked state, and I had only been to beaches in mainland Florida, so I thought the beach in Montego Bay was just fine. We stayed at Iberostar Grand and it was fun for us...but what does fun mean to you?

Oshawa, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Decisions,decisions!!

thanks for all your replies, I guess by fun, hotel activities and entertainment also night parties out of but around the resort,(if that is safe). I would like a resort where there are few or no children,(because I will be missing my own). Someone recommended the Riu Ocho Rios. Knowing it is a bit of a drive from airport, however, we just returned from Cuba and our ride from the airport to the resort was over an hour. I was previously in Runaway Bay, Jamaica but that was 30 years ago, so I know things have changed.

7. Re: Decisions,decisions!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2014, 06:18