We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When do you book airfare?

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
142 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
When do you book airfare?

Hi. My husband and I are taking our kids to Iberostar Rose Hall Suites in July 2014. I've been checking airfare the last couple of months and it seems really high. We will be flying from Philly. Does anyone know if it's higher than last year?? It's almost the same price we paid to fly to Antigua(which is further)

How far in advance do you book your airline tickets? I have read 45 days before your trip is usually the cheapest???

United States
Level Contributor
11,241 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When do you book airfare?

See the following

…yahoo.com/news/when-is-the-optimal-time-to-…

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,309 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When do you book airfare?

Since I use frequent flyer miles when I fly to Jamaica I book in July for a November departure...while I arrive during slow season I return to the US during high season so I want to ensure I can book the dates I want without a problem.

For domestic business travel I can never book any earlier than one month out.

There's no "magic number" but you can go to a site like www.kayak.com and set up price alerts -they can be very helpful.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: When do you book airfare?

Always a tricky question - what I do is watch the price and when I feel ready, I book, then don't look back.

The kayak alerts are a good idea. Some people seem to find great prices in the middle of the night, or on Tuesday mornings. When I really don't like the price I am usually checking twice a day, (yeah, OCD, I know) on multiple sites - kayak, hipmunk, priceline, and then on the individual airline sites... Sometimes the price will drop within a few weeks of when you fly, and sometimes it won't.

Good Luck!

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: When do you book airfare?

In case you didn't know, (I recently discovered it!) - TA has an air travel forum as well :)

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Tr…

Also, don't think there's a direct flight from PHL to Nassau, and I know this is only (probably) useful to you as trivia as I doubt it would be a savings, or easy to schedule with flight times, BUT there is a direct AirTran flight from BWI to Nassau, and Air Jamaica has direct flights from Nassau to Kingston and MoBay…

5. Re: When do you book airfare?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2014, 06:16