We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Palace Tropical Bay vs. Royalton White Sands Resort

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
77 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Palace Tropical Bay vs. Royalton White Sands Resort

Hello,

I have been doing some early research for a vacation to Jamaica. Wondering if anyone can dive in and help me out. Although I was set on Negril for its beautiful beaches, the new Royalton White Sands also looks great (formerly breezes trenlaway). Anybody know which beach is nicer - or are they both pretty comparable? The beach and food are very important to us, so any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Megha

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Palace Tropical Bay vs. Royalton White Sands Resort

The beach at RIU Palace is widely considered the best on the island. I've seen both and there is no comparison other than the colour of the sand. Of course that is only my opinion.

United States
Level Contributor
11,259 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Palace Tropical Bay vs. Royalton White Sands Resort

"which beach is nicer - or are they both pretty comparable?"

The quality of the section of beach at these two is about the same with a slight edge to the one at the RIU Palace Tropical Bay, in my opinion.

"The beach and food are very important to us"

The Royalton has been only open a few days. There have been issues with the food reported at the Royalton. See reply number 168 in the following thread (as well as the whole discussion)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147311-i93-k66096…

As of today I would rate the quality of food at the Royalton as 'unknown'.

Edited: 19 November 2013, 14:25
Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
77 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Palace Tropical Bay vs. Royalton White Sands Resort

Thanks for the suggestions, I will wait to see more reviews on the Royalton, otherwise, better bet is to stay at the RIU Tropical Bay.

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,147 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Palace Tropical Bay vs. Royalton White Sands Resort

Royalton is a new resort, and imo, if you plan on traveling in the next 6 months, avoid this resort. At least you know what to expect at Riu Palace.

Also, if you are not traveling with kids you may also want to avoid Royalton, I know when it was Breezes/Starfish it was a huge kid magnet resort. There will probably also be kids at RPTB, with it’s lack of watermark and not great pools, keep many families with small and younger children away.

Edited: 20 November 2013, 14:26
Marion, Iowa
Level Contributor
803 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Palace Tropical Bay vs. Royalton White Sands Resort

These are the two resorts we are looking at taking out teens to next summer. Waiting to see how the royalton reviews are. Not booking right away so maybe there will be time for them to work out the kinks.

6. Re: Riu Palace Tropical Bay vs. Royalton White Sands Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2014, 06:19