We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family style and real Jamaican New Years Tradition.

Saint Paul...
1 post
Save Topic
Family style and real Jamaican New Years Tradition.

I am doing a presentation on Jamaican New Years Traditions. I do not mean the tourist type. Can anyone tell me the background traditions? Church's or house of worship. All I am getting is travel brochure type and I would really like more. I have been made aware of the Johnkankus Parade, the Market street, and parties with fireworks. But I would really appreciate what traditional families do? Please. Thank you.

UK
Level Contributor
611 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Family style and real Jamaican New Years Tradition.

Look at some books on Jamaican Folklore. Contact the National Library of Jamaica and the Institute on Jamaica, they might be able to help.

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
8,687 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Family style and real Jamaican New Years Tradition.

also search Boxing Day.

Some interesting history around that time is the Marroon Independence celebration (Jan 6) in Accompong Town...not New Years; but a historical celebration!

Do you have a Jamaican community in your town? I would interview someone which would provide you with the most accurate info!

what's your presentation for? interesting

PEACE!

3. Re: Family style and real Jamaican New Years Tradition.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2014, 06:20