We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Currency

My wife and I are first time visitors to Jamaica. Is there any preference in bringing down U.S. or Canadian currency to exchange for Jamaican dollars? Last year we went to D.R. and took US dollar bills for tips and Canadian money which we exchanged for Dominican pesos at our resort. We're staying at the Iberostar Rose Hall Beach. Thanks!

Dave

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency

Dave,

I normally bring US dollars in Jamaica for tipping however, you could also tip in Canadian anyhow... With both currency the employeees will need to go the bank to change it.

You have an ATM machine next door at the suite, so don't worry too much about it. Have a great vacation. Went to the Grand Iberostar Rose Hall twice and it is awesome.

Enjoy and happy holidays!!

Alex

Kennewick...
Level Contributor
85 posts
597 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency

If you travel out and about while your in Jamaica you may want to have US currency with you as some of the locals will not accept it. There are plenty of places in the airports to exchange and almost every hotel will exchange it for you and or let you get cash from your credit card for a very small fee.

What will you be doing in Jamaica, my wife and I just got back last month and would be happy to share some ideas with you.

Have a great time

David Alto

KennewickDave

United States
Level Contributor
11,832 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency

"Is there any preference in bringing down U.S. or Canadian currency to exchange for Jamaican dollars?"

You do not say which type of money you will be spending while you are in Jamaica. See the following to help you decide.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-c140152/Jamai…

If you are staying at the Iberostar then you probably will be spending US dollars almost exclusively.

"we exchanged for Dominican pesos at our resort."

I have never attempted to change any type of money at the Iberostar. However, most hotels in Jamaica give poor exchange rates. If you need Jamaican dollars, and thus need to exchange money there are much better places to exchange Canadian dollars into Jamaican dollars. See the following for those places.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-s601/Jamaica:…

Bring your ScotiaBank debit card with you. You can stop at any ScotiaBank branch or ATM machine in Jamaica to take out either Jamaican or US dollars from your account without any service fees. There are several branches and ATM's in Montego Bay - see the reference above for the locations.

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency

Thanks for the reply... Wife and I usually stick to the resort except for one day or half-day outing somewhere. Any feedback on interesting venues in and around Montego Bay would be appreciated. The tour guide usually has an info session the morning after we arrive...

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency

I don't have a Scotiabank card - do our banking at Bank of Montreal. I won't exchange money at an airport as they give the worst exchange rates. Perhaps the best option is take US $ exclusively as it seems it's accepted almost everywhere in Jamaica? Thanks for the replies!

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,640 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency

Around the resort you could use either US or Jamaican $. Off the resort Jamaican $ are probably your best bet as vendors can set their own exchange rates. And you will probably get any change in $J. If you use $J to tip at the resort, just be aware of the exchange rate. $100J would be close to a $1US tip.

Take a day trip to Negril. It's worth it for a day out.

Pecatonica, Illinois
Level Contributor
55 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency

Funny listening to all these ideas. I have been to Jamaica six times. Usually I bring three to four thousand in cash. Never had a penny stolen. I lock it in the villas closet safe and bring smaller denominations and look like I am on my last bill. Keep some in another pocket and singles and smaller bills in the one you will pay from. I usually shop outside the main stores. There I will use credit cards. But in markets you can deal and have fun. (Remember if they can see it, the price will change before you can make an offer).

Anyone, anywhere will be robbed if you flaunt your wealth. Plenty of belt pouches to wear for money. Wrap it a couple times through a loop or two for extra safety. Wear a comfortable loose shirt to cover your waist. No problem.....I also bring a waterproof neck pouch for $$ if I think I'm doing a water tour.

It was a pain going to a bank, trying to figure out if it would limit my amount to withdraw. If it would be U.S. or Jamaican, or who was watching how much it dispensed. All this with my 42 years of police work and yet I sound foolish. Safe traveling and good ideas never work at night if a person is over intoxicated anywhere.

8. Re: Currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2014, 06:18