We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late september/ early october

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Late september/ early october

Hey,

Trying to plan a honeymoon in the above mentioned time frame. Negril as a whole is one of my front runners, but I admittedly know the least about it other than the fact that I dont want a sandals. Some of my concerns:

Where to stay: I want to feel like I am in jamaica, and not just in a resort that has nothing outside of it. Adults only would be great, but really just quiet and few kids is okay. Couples looks like a good choice, but just want some opinions.

Things to do: Probably a dumb question, but is there enough to do, close enough to the hotel(s) that isnt just a tourist trap and also wont break the bank. Mom and pop type places to eat and/or shop?

Weather: Ive heard both ways, that it is too hot and humid/rainy to visit, and that it is fine by the coast. Is it worth considering going? I can accept random showers, I just dont want washed out.

Theres more, but im drawing a blank.

Others considering...Curacao, and the papagayo area of Costa rica (after I figure out the rain situation).

Any and all input is appreciated!

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Curacao
Curacao
Caribbean
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Late september/ early october

anyone?

United States
Level Contributor
12,629 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late september/ early october

"Adults only would be great, but really just quiet and few kids is okay. Couples looks like a good choice"

All of the adults only places in Negril are large all inclusive resorts. If Couples (2 locations in Negril) looks good to you then also consider the RIU Palace Tropical Bay which has only a few kids.

"is there enough to do"

There are things to do both at the large resorts and around town. However, Negril is mainly a place to lay on the beach.

"Mom and pop type places to eat and/or shop?"

There are lots of both but you will have paid for unlimited food at any of the all inclusive resorts.

"Weather:"

Sept. and Oct. are part of rainy season in Jamaica. You should expect a good chance of some rain almost any day. Sept. and Oct. are also part of hurricane season (Sept. is the peak month of the year).

"considering...Curacao, and the papagayo area of Costa rica (after I figure out the rain situation)."

Curacao is very dry and is not in the hurricane belt. There are no weather issues in Curacao except maybe the heat. Costa Rica will have more or less the same type of weather as Jamaica in Sept. and Oct. (hot, some rain about 60% of the days, and slight chance of hurricane).

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
Hotel Riu Palace...
5,622 Reviews
Jamaica
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Curacao
Curacao
Caribbean
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Late september/ early october

Thank you!

The draw back for me with the large resorts is not getting a chance to really experience the island, which is what both of us would like to enjoy.

Is travel convenient leaving the resorts without being over charged by cab drivers?

United States
Level Contributor
12,629 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late september/ early october

"Is travel convenient leaving the resorts without being over charged by cab drivers?"

Yes.

5. Re: Late september/ early october

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2015, 05:18