We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Jamaica

Boston...
Level Contributor
315 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Jamaica

I tried to book a trip to Jamaica for this July but I failed. I could not find what I wanted and maybe what I wanted does not exist. I came close to booking the Palladium but after reading way to many on line reports of mold we opted not to book it. In stead I ended up booking the Grand Yucatan Suites @ Palladium in Riviera Maya Mexico.

Next year I want to try Jamaica and will start the search now. Here is what I am looking for:

Spending 2 weeks.

Don’t want to spend 2 weeks relaxing. We like to be busy.

Need a place that has plenty of space to take long walks. Do not want a small property.

Hotel has to be very clean.

Several pools is a plus. I hate when there is never a spot near the pool (the worst part about taking a cruise).

Plenty of restaurants is a plus. At least 4 or 5.

Safety!! I don’t want my wife to have to worry about being unsafe if we walk 5 feet off the property.

Night life. No need for a disco or a dance party but would like some nice live music at night.

Non high rise. We don’t care to stay at places that have more than 3-4 floors. The place would have to be exceptional for us to stay there if it has 10 floors. I find things get over crowded if the hotel is a high rise. It is too many people in a small foot print.

Stuff to do; Again I don’t like to relax on vacation so I like when the resort has stuff to do. Kayaking, snorkeling, swimming, hiking, walking, walks into town.

So does this exist in Jamaica or not? My budget this year was $4k-$6.5k for 2 weeks and it included air fare.

United States
Level Contributor
10,829 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Jamaica

A few questions: 1) Is this a vacation, and the listed budget, for one person or more than one person (if more than one, how many?)?, 2) All inclusive or not? 3) Which resorts did you look at that did not meet your requirements (other than the Grand Palladium, which Jamaican hotels did you reject)?

Boston...
Level Contributor
315 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Jamaica

Excellent questions. 2 people on the trip. The wife and I. All inclusive is very much preferred. Premium drinks not required. We dont drink much at all. These are the ones we looked at :

Grand Bahia Principe

Grand Lido Negril

Grand Palladium

Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa, Montego Bay

Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall Beaches

Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall Suites

Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa, Runaway Bay

Mystic Ridge

RIU

RIU

RIU Montego Bay

Riu Palace Jamaica

Riu Palace Tropical Bay

Royalton White Sands, Montego Bay

Boston...
Level Contributor
315 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Jamaica

A little more info on where we looked:

Grand Bahia Principe Ocho Rios, Jamaica

Grand Lido Negril Negril

Grand Palladium montego Bay

Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa, Montego Bay montego Bay

Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall Beaches montego Bay

Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall Suites montego Bay

Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa, Runaway Bay Ocho Rios, Jamaica

Mystic Ridge Ocho Rios, Jamaica

RIU Ocho Rios, Jamaica

RIU Montego Bay

RIU Montego Bay montego Bay

Riu Palace Jamaica montego Bay

Riu Palace Tropical Bay Negril

Royalton White Sands, Montego Bay Montego Bay

Boston...
Level Contributor
315 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Jamaica

Alrighty then. It apears that there is no place in Jamaica for us.

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,109 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Jamaica

I am not sure if it is in your budget, but Couples Swept Away would be perfect. Only problem, price varies on the time you travel.

Also, has only 330 rooms, so it is not huge, but the size of the property is larger then probably any other you listed, and has probably more activities offered then then the other resorts you listed. Here is a post from today listing all the activities at CSA:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147313-i70-k73177…

No building is over 3 stories high, excellent food and security. Wonderful beach for walking, fun disco open nightly. 3 pools and you will never have a problem finding a spot by the pool ( in fact 2 of the pools you would probably have to yourself- everyone is on the beach).

Water sports are included, plus your transfer to and from the airport ( plus a private arrival lounge). Snorkeling, basic scuba, paddle boarding, kayaks, water skiing , hobie cats, glass bottom boat rides, and catamaran cruise also included. Also, no tipping resort, so this saves you money.

It also has probably the nicest sports complex in the Caribbean at a resort, which also has lots of daily activities.

Here is an overhead shot of CSA:

wikimapia.org/…20away

Again, price may be an issue. However, when I travel in the off season, I could make it fit my budget.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,501 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Jamaica

You could also consider Couples Negril.

I don't think you mentioned the Secrets brand. Here's a list of their inclusions with the exception of the ones with asterisks which will be at an additional cost.

(You would have to hit both of them during a special offering to make them fit in your budget and even then it will be difficult. However, I recently booked Secrets in Montego Bay on Hotels Combined for $324 per night for July of this summer.)

Explore the shops, restaurants and other attractions on the Promenade

Soak in the sun poolside or on our private sugar sand beach

Work out in our state-of-the-art fitness center

Take to the sea for windsurfing, kayaking or snorkeling

Tee off on some of the Caribbean’s most challenging championship golf courses*

Sit back and enjoy a live show in our open-air theatre

Large swimming pool (partially heated)

Private swimming pool for Preferred Club guests (partially heated)

2,400 feet of sugar-white beach

Outdoor Jacuzzis

State-of-the-art, open-air theatre with nightly entertainment and bar service

Open air game and entertainment palapa

Games including ping pong, darts, pool tables, foosball, air hockey, board games, chess

Gaming lounge with poker, keno and other gaming machines*

Sports including basketball, pool volleyball, beach football, bocce ball, soccer, water polo, lawn croquet, archery

Batting cage

Jogging trail

Euro bungee

Bicycle tours

Tennis court (lit) and multipurpose court

Yoga

Aerobics and water aerobics

Non-motorized water sports

Sailboats and kayaks

Catamarans*

Dance classes

Cooking classes

Windsurfing and snorkeling

Introductory scuba lesson in the swimming pool

Scuba diving lessons*

Five championship golf courses (just a few minutes away)*

Horseback riding*

Halifax, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Jamaica

Does anyone know if they have anything special for Easter at the Hilton Rose Hall Beach for kids?

8. Re: Where to stay in Jamaica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2015, 05:16