We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wifi

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
681 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Wifi

Hi all

can you hire portable wifi in jamaica we did this in Egypt in February and it worked out great.

Thanks jonnyboy

United States
Level Contributor
10,976 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wifi

"can you hire portable wifi in Jamaica"

In the Western Hemisphere my understanding is that it is available only in some parts of the US and some parts of Mexico at the current time. Try back in a few years and you may get a different answer.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
681 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wifi

Hi vin is

The simple answer would have been no then!!

Jonnyboy

Montego Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wifi

Yes I'm a Jamaican and I use portable wifi in Jamaica. I order for you to access it though you will need an unlocked hotspot device so you can insert a local SIM card with a data plan activated for you to get access to Internet on the go

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
681 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wifi

Hi lavish

Where will I get a SIM card with data and how much can I expect to pay for two weeks??

We are staying I runaway bay at the GBP in July

Thanks

Jonnyboy

Montego Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wifi

The sim can be picked up at any Digicel that is a local carrier,the sim may run you $6 us and the data plan for two weeks about $15

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
681 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wifi

Thanks lavish

Where is the nearest digicel,outlet to runaway bay or is there one in the airport?

Thanks

Jonnyboy

Montego Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wifi

There should be one inside the airport but if not there are several on your way to the runaway bay but remember that you are going to need the hot spot device in order for it to work

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
681 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wifi

Hi lavish

Would it be possible to buy a sim with data plan online and get it delivered to me in the uk??

If so what would I be looking for??

Jonnyboy

Montego Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Wifi

Ok maybe I could how long before you get to Jamaica? Because it only last for the time period it is activate for.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
205 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wifi

Just a quick question. Is Digitcel a more reliable than LIME? Lime seems to be a little cheaper, same price J$600 for double the data Digitcel offers. As a local, will you still get it from digitcel?