We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is travelling to Jamaica in late June/Early July a good idea

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is travelling to Jamaica in late June/Early July a good idea

It will be the first time travelling to Jamaica for my partner and I. I had pretty much planned every detail of our trip until I spoke with an acquitance that frequents Jamaica 3-4 times a year. She told me that Late June/Early July would not be a good time to travel to Jamaica for our first experience as it will rain a lot. So I'd like to get 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinions before I choose another location to travel to:

I've tried looking up historic weather through this link but it has kind of given me mixed results:

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/MKJS/2014/07/03/PlannerHistory.html?dayend=10&monthend=7&yearend=2014&req_city=Montego+Bay&req_state=&req_statename=Jamaica

At the bottom of this page it says that 0.00mm of rain has been recorded however it regularly states events as rain and thunderstorm during those times.

So now my question:

Has anyone travelled during late June/Early July (My dates are a little flexible) and would you recommend it for first timers?

We don't mind the heat but I don't want it to be cloudy and raining the entire time of our stay!

Thanks bunches for your help :)

Cass

Connecticut
Level Contributor
10,230 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is travelling to Jamaica in late June/Early July a good idea

Recommend July as lobster season reopens on the 1st.

I would not worry about the weather. Unless there is a tropical wave approaching, rain is impossible to forecast. Rain is highly regionalized: it may be raining in one spot and 2 miles away there will be bright sun.

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Is travelling to Jamaica in late June/Early July a good idea

You said you don't mind the heat... but when we were in Jamaica in 2012 in late June it was quite uncomfortable in the evenings. During the day the breeze kept things comfortable enough, but in the evening the breeze would die and it became quite sticky. Very different than our other trips to Jamaica in the fall. That may not be typical, but it was that way all week for us.

Malvern, Jamaica
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is travelling to Jamaica in late June/Early July a good idea

anytime is a good time to come to jamaica, personally speaking

usually the most rain falls all over the island in september/october

also your location on the island can make a difference in the weather, for example treasure beach on the south coast is a desert climate while in port antonio it rains almost everyday for a while (at least)

it will be hot, end of june and into july but not as hot as august and september will be, it is always cool and nice in the hills, so consider and excursion somewhere cool

get yourself trip cancellation insurance if you are concerned about a hurricane affecting your travel plans, although that time of year is very early in the season so it is unlikely that would happen

come to jamaica and full joy yourself

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is travelling to Jamaica in late June/Early July a good idea

Thanks Hedodive master! Yum, lobester!!

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is travelling to Jamaica in late June/Early July a good idea

HogDaddyMike: Thanks for your post! I think we will be okay with the heat -- we love it ..it's the rain that I'm concerned about! Did it rain while you were there in late June? If so how often?

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Is travelling to Jamaica in late June/Early July a good idea

TwistedSistas: Thanks very much for your detailed response! I think I'm going to go ahead and book this trip since my heart is set on it!! Hopefully no rare hurrican will show up however I will get cancellation insurance just in case.

Wallingford, CT
Level Contributor
154 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is travelling to Jamaica in late June/Early July a good idea

We were there during the first week of July in 2010. It was actually hotter back home in Connecticut that week than it was in Jamaica. Our Montego Bay temperature was high 80s/low 90s, cooling down a bit at night, and a few swift strong showers passing through in the daytimes.

North Lewisburg...
Level Contributor
750 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is travelling to Jamaica in late June/Early July a good idea

We have been in Jamaice the end of June / first of July for the lady 3 yrs. We have had excellent weather. Maybe a 15 minute shower but that's about it..

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is travelling to Jamaica in late June/Early July a good idea

I have been in Jamaica in July the last four years. I have also been in June and August. Compared to the winter months, you will see more rain. It's a tropical climate, so it rains which is what makes Jamaica so lush and beautiful. However, the island sometimes experiences long periods without excessive rainfall which creates drought situations on parts of it. I would tell anyone going in the summer months to expect rain showers in the afternoons. Some are short. Some may last a couple of hours. The key is to get up and out in the mornings and nap in the afternoons.

Labrador City, NL...
Level Contributor
596 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is travelling to Jamaica in late June/Early July a good idea

I'm married to a teacher so all our trips have been in July. Yes, it's hot but isn't that why we go ??

We have never been rained out at that time of year, except for a tropical storm that hit us one year. It rained for a day, but for the rest of our stay it was a usual 15 minute shower in the afternoon.

We are booked at Whitehouse this year July 3-13 and are not worried in the least !