We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelers Insurance

Level Contributor
78 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Travelers Insurance

To have or not? We have booked our trip for Sandals Negril and I'm curious if everyone gets travelers insurance and if they get it through Sandals or somewhere else? Thanks for any input

Mentioned in this post
Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
Sandals Negril Beach...
5,793 Reviews
Jamaica
Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,690 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelers Insurance

We always get it. Too many things that can happen. It's not that expensive. A lot of people don't get it. It's an individual choice.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelers Insurance

As the saying goes 'don't leave home without it' lol!!!!

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,913 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelers Insurance

I always get it - You just never know, and I would rather spend the $ to have it than to have something happen and not have it. I have used it for damaged luggage, cancelled trips, and delays -

Check the prices here, and compare with Sandals and see who offers the best deal

http://www.insuremytrip.com/

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelers Insurance

Get it for sure, especially if you are traveling during hurricane season.

London, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelers Insurance

I always get it! It's always that thing of if things happen...and you don't have insurance...then your screwed really! And things can happen at any time! I've been on vacation in Spain and one of my friends drove off the side of a cliff on her quad bike! Luckily she had insurance...if not she would have had a seriously hefty hospital bill!

Florida
Level Contributor
514 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelers Insurance

IMO, if nothing else you should always have medical evacuation coverage.

I'm often willing to take a chance on other trip expenses. The potential loss may not be large and I may decide the cost of insurance is not a fair value weighed against the potential loss.

But medical evacuation coverage is relatively inexpensive and the potential cost if you don't have it is huge. That's the one peril I feel it is really unwise not to insure against. Everything else is a judgement call based on cost and risk tolerance.

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,164 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelers Insurance

ALWAYS GET TRIP INSURANCE!!! :)

The minor things like bag delays and flight delays happen all the time, and it will pay for some extra clothes or your hotel and food if you get stuck somewhere. Not to mention, it will cover the day of your vacation you missed!

I also agree, medical coverage is very important. You hope it doesn't happen, but it will be a huge expense if it does and you didn't have insurance. Most medical insurance won't cover you out of the country, or you'll pay a lot for it!

And lastly, if it's hurricane season, you really want to have cancel for any reason insurance. If you buy the insurance Sandals offers within 7 days of booking, it is $99 per person, and for a cancel for any reason waiver, that is a good price. There is also an Allianz one I am looking at with cancel for any reason and pretty good coverage for $210. If there is a hurricane (yes, I know from experience, lol) your insurance covers nothing until the airport closes or the resort closes, and if the resort decides to reopen while it is damaged, you are out of luck and have to go (or lose your money). If you have a cancel waiver, you can cancel if you know a hurricane is coming.

Edited: 16 April 2014, 18:38
East Lansing...
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelers Insurance

The question for any international trip is: Could you handle an unexpected expense of $50,000 or more? We always buy trip insurance prior to an international trip. Medical issues outside the US may or may not be covered by your insurance and evacuation can be very expensive. And, be sure you buy insurance with a pre-existing condition waiver. We have bought for many years now and never made a claim. We rather hope we never do.

There is one absolute rule for buying travel insurance: NEVER, NEVER buy from the travel provider. Plans offered by travel providers are designed to benefit them, not you, including lots of profit for them. I looked at the Sandals plan. First, beware of any company offering a "travel protection plan". They can slide by lots of laws by calling it a protection plan rather than insurance, though they do use the term insurance in some places. The medical expense limit is $25,000, which is pretty marginal. It has cancel for any reason if you buy within 7 days. But, that only covers the cost for Sandals, not any of your other transportation costs. And, part of your refund will be in "Unique Vacations travel certificates".

Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelers Insurance

YES!!! Definitely buy it. We have been buying it for all our trips and have never had to use it until now. We were supposed to be leaving this Friday for SGR and unexpectedly my husband was rushed to the hospital last Wednesday night and is still in the hospital so we had to cancel our trip. I called Sandals and they already refunded my points and my points I used from my Sandals credit card and the insurance is refunding the rest. I am really glad this happened while we were home and not in Jamaica as we would have been an hour and a half away from the nearest hospital.,

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,164 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelers Insurance

Just an FYI, Sandals travel insurance is through Tripmate, so it isn't just Sandals saying they are covering you. Whenever I have called Tripmate directly, they have actually been very helpful. When we got stuck in Philly for the night, they also reimbursed me for the hotel, and it was very easy. The cancel for any reason only covers the Sandals portion, but that is typical. If you shop around, most insurances will only cover 75% of your trip, which for my trips, is about what the cost of Sandals is for me. I am fine with Unique dollars because I will just go to Sandals again. The Allianz one I am looking at has better medical coverage. I don't care what kind you use, but I've done lots of research on trop insurance, so I figured I'd share :)

@mficke I'm so sorry to hear that!!! I hope your husband is ok, and that you are doing ok with all this! I'm glad to hear you were refunded with no problem. Out of curiosity, what insurance did you have?