We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overwehelmed by the choices

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Overwehelmed by the choices

Instead of researching the various areas of Jamaica, I would like the short version of what areas of Jamaica have what specialities. What areas to avoid. Best beaches. Best if you won't have a car. We don't like the huge resorts, but want to feel safe and close to shopping and restaurants.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,640 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overwehelmed by the choices

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-c165100/Jamai…

What is important to you in a resort? What kind of budget? Is a beach important or pool or both? There are beaches, shopping, drivers, etc in all areas of Jamaica. It would help to know a little more about what you are looking for.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Overwehelmed by the choices

I don't like long stretches of high rise condos, prefer beach and pool, something other than the traditional chain resort or hotel. Otherwise, just not in a big city. Want to chill out, absorb some Jamaican culture, maybe take some tours. I'm in my Mid fifty's so not a party animal!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Overwehelmed by the choices

And as for budget, mid range I would say.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overwehelmed by the choices

Exactly! We need more info to help you better like what's your budget, what your looking for in a vaca, traveling with kids/single/ or looking for romantic get away or beach or cliff side preference. Still best beaches are in Negril if this is your thing & lots of fun stuff within walking/a cab ride. Are you wanting all inclusive or looking to get out more & stay/eat locally?

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,640 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overwehelmed by the choices

You won't see long stretches of high rise condos........

And what do you consider traditional chain of hotel or resort? Jamaica has Sandal's, Couple's, RIU's, Secret's, Royal Decameron, (and others) which are all chains.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
10,385 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overwehelmed by the choices

My first reaction is the location to first consider is Negril: it has a town, it has the nicest beaches in all of Jamaica, there are only two isolated mega-resorts (neither of which offer a Jamaican vibe), there are posh smaller AIs and many non-AI resorts. Negril has lots of eateries along the beach (Long Bay area) and in the Cliffs region.

Now, are you traveling as, say, 2 adults or as a family with kids (and at what ages)? AI or non-AI?

For me, Jamaica is not a place I go for shopping as almost everything worth buying is imported, thus expensive. I go for the beach, the watersports, Jamaican food and the friendliness of the Jamaican people.

Malvern, Jamaica
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Overwehelmed by the choices

antia it sounds like you are open to suggestions and ideas

how about treasure beach, some nice beaches, tho not as long as negril, the vibe in treasure beach is much more relaxed and less hustle

not really a party place, just a great place to lay back and chill

you can stay in a moderate guesthouse or in a luxury villa, or maybe you prefer your own beach house with or without pool? you will have many choices depending on your budget

check it out, treasurebeach.net/guide/…

where ever you decide you will be in jamaica, how great is that

one love

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Overwehelmed by the choices

Thanks for your response. This was very helpful. My next question is: How necessary is it to do the all-inclusive? I would prefer not to, if there are plenty of choices close to the hotels. I would like to try some Jamaican food and get out among the Jamaicans, instead of just being around other American Tourists. How does it work out cost-wise, as far a comparison between AI or not, which is more?

9. Re: Overwehelmed by the choices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2015, 06:16