We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Customs

connecticut
Level Contributor
32 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Customs

I have not traveled outside of the U.S. in several years. Please refresh my memory. Do we have to go through customs when we are leaving Jamaica, or do we go through customs upon re-entry back into the States?

United States
Level Contributor
12,023 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Customs

"Do we have to go through customs when we are leaving Jamaica,"

No.

"do we go through customs upon re-entry back into the States?"

Yes.

connecticut
Level Contributor
32 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Customs

Thank you!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
205 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Customs

FYI - Regardless of what your flight attendant tells you, you need to fill out one customs form for each adult traveling in your party. We were told last week on the plane that we had to only do one per family, only to wait in line for 45 minutes and be told that we needed one each. My husband was then sent to the back of the line to complete his own. Obviously, everyone on our plane had done it wrong and was delayed considerably.

Edited: 07 May 2014, 15:54
connecticut
Level Contributor
32 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Customs

Thanks for the heads up!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
10,647 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Customs

Flight attendant was sort of right.

For entering Jamaica, each adult must complete the immigration side of the Jamaican immigration/customs form (called the C5). The family can submit a combined customs declaration. Jamaica no longer has an exit immigration process.

For entering the US, each adult must complete the immigration form, and a family can be combined on the customs declaration.

Edited: 07 May 2014, 17:14
Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Customs

We had flight attendants on both our arrival and departure tell us one per family. On the arrival flight I told her that it was one per person and she went around again giving everyone a form. It was their first flight into Jamaica and she was very happy that I told her the real requirements!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
205 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Customs

Thanks for the clarification Hedo.

8. Re: Customs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2015, 06:17