We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New high speed catamaran ferry next March from MoBay

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Topic
New high speed catamaran ferry next March from MoBay

Interesting.

jamaicaobserver.com/business/US-30-m-MoBay-f…

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: New high speed catamaran ferry next March from MoBay

Interesting article BP. Thanks for the link.

I don't know how interested I would be in this. The idea of the catamaran ferry itself sound great. But to do it you would need to get a cab from the airport to the ferry terminal, wait for the ferry to depart (who knows how frequently they will make the trip) ride the ferry, then cab from the ferry terminal in Ochi or Negril to your resort. That's a lot of loading, unloading, etc. I don't think it would be faster. It's certainly not simpler. Probably not cheaper, either.

I guess we will know more when service starts, if it ever does.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,639 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New high speed catamaran ferry next March from MoBay

And wonder how long it will take. It might be something worth considering when you are leaving, but most people like to get to their resort as soon as possible. Unless it's faster than ground transportation and cheaper than flying, I don't see it being used much as an arrival service.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,813 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New high speed catamaran ferry next March from MoBay

How long will it take?: I calculated the water distance at about 35 miles. If the ferry runs at its top speed of 40 knots (about 45mph), so theoretically the travel time is about an hour.

Wonder where the Negril terminal will be.

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
395 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New high speed catamaran ferry next March from MoBay

I expect the Portmore-Kingston-Port Royal piece will be more practical, since those distances are all much shorter by water than by land. It should make it much easier to go from Kingston to the beach.

From the piece on the news last night, the ferry service from MoBay is intended to be more of an attraction than a practical means of transportation.

United States
Level Contributor
11,378 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New high speed catamaran ferry next March from MoBay

Thinking about the time for the trip, one needs to add a bit onto 1 hr. It is a bit like flying on Timair. There is first a bus, van, or taxi from the airport to the dock in downtown Montego Bay (near Pier One according to the story). Then there is another bus, van or taxi ride from a dock in Negril or Ocho Rios to a hotel. I would guess that the total airport to resort will be about 2 hr. under the best of conditions.

Another important point will be the cost of the catamaran and the two taxi rides.

Finally, how often will it run (depart). Many people on this forum have, over the years, expressed a need to get to their resort as soon as possible. Many posts have expressed frustration at needing to wait for more than 5 min. for a bus to depart or for it to stop at other resorts on the way to their resort. Will this 'need for speed' have an impact of the plans viability?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,813 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New high speed catamaran ferry next March from MoBay

vinnie, I was just taking about water time, sort of what TimAir and IntlAirLink talk about airtime. There will definitely be additional time costs.

Its a long time to March 2015.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,388 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New high speed catamaran ferry next March from MoBay

Interesting indeed. Maybe not for an airport transfer but for day trips, might be a cool idea depending on price.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,913 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New high speed catamaran ferry next March from MoBay

"I expect the Portmore-Kingston-Port Royal piece will be more practical"

That will be AWESOME. Part of the reason I have never gone to Hellshire when I am in town is because of the traffic.

9. Re: New high speed catamaran ferry next March from MoBay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2015, 05:17