We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotels

Hi just returned from DR and already got itchy feet so lookin to book our next holiday in Jamaica.

Would appreciate any advice on what are the best places in Jamaica and what hotels are the best.

Also are there any actual hotels (not villas) anywhere in these areas ?

Thanks in advance for your answers

Gareth

United States
Level Contributor
10,826 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels

For the best areas see the following

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-c165100/Jamai…

For the best resort see the following

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-c182778/Jamai…

The two references above will allow you to define what factors define 'best' to you (I know what is 'best' to me but your opinion may differ from mine).

There are many hotels in all of the major areas of Jamaica. For example, Montego Bay has about 70 and Negril has about 100. There are hundreds more spread over the island.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,041 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels

Vinnie has a well thought-out decision matrix and it is worth a look.

For me, the big decisions would be AI or non-AI; adults only, couples only or family; great beach or wear water shoes; mega-resort (read international flavor) or a Jamaican look/feel resort; long list of inclusives or nickel and dime fees; nightlife or quiet; isolated or near/in a village.

I am a big fan of scuba, and for me, unless scuba is an inclusive then I am not interested in the resort at all.

Edited: 10 May 2014, 21:31
Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,786 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels

"are there any actual hotels (not villas) anywhere in these areas ?"

What areas are you referring to?

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels

Hi ohliz for example we have stayed at the great parnassus in cancun mexico and as you will see it is the high rise hotel type instead of the villas spread over a large area.

Its not that we dont like the villa type but since mexico we have stayed in the villas in cuba and the dominican republic and thought it would be a nice change

Thanks for your help

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels

Thankyou vinnie great links and thanks hedodivemaster :-)

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels

We are looking for a hotel on the beach All inclusive , not to isolated,plenty of activities and excursions and though we are both in our 50s we like to party at night lol

UK
Level Contributor
611 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels

Negril has the best beaches. At the adult only resorts you will find plenty of people in your age-group with corresponding parties.

Edited: 11 May 2014, 12:03
Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels

Thanks mingming19

Been looking at lady hamilton, riu tropical and grand palladium resorts, any info on these would be appreciated

Thanks

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,041 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels

Adults only in Negril:

Bloody Bay (2 mile section, the "quiet" beach):

Sunset at the Palms (has a beach section and cabins over the road),

Grand Lido Negril (min age here is 16; c/o section which has good off shore snorkeling; under new management; marvelous beach),

Couples Negril (amazing Jamaican look/feel; lots of inclusions; a/n beach at property edge; lot of activities; marvelous beach)

Long Bay (5 mile section; busy beach-Negril vibe):

Hedonism II (the place is the party; lots of inclusions),

Sandals Negril (nice long beach front, lots of activities, lots of inclusions),

Couples Swept Away (larger than Couples Negril; lots of inclusions; lots of activities; marvelous beach)

United States
Level Contributor
10,826 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels

You say that you are looking for excursions. All of the all inclusive resorts in major tourist areas offer a wide range of excursions.

Second, the Lady Hamilton and the Grand Palladium are two names which are applied to two parts of one very large hotel. In addition this one hotel is located several miles outside of the small town of Lucea. Other than the hotel there are no tourist facilities in town and the limited amount of beaches at the hotel is rated poorly.

Of the hotels you list the RIU Palace Tropical Bay is probably the best. It is a fine hotel on one of the best sections of beach on the island. It is in Negril and within a 5 or 10 min. taxi ride of lots of nightlife.