We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jamaica or La Romana, DR

Centreville...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Jamaica or La Romana, DR

I am looking to book an all inclusive resort. Price is a factor. Planning on a 7 night stay. But I also want there to be decent snorkeling available included in the AI price if not right off the beach at the resort. Obviously would like good selection of food/restaurants as well. My interests at this point are probably La Romana, DR or Jamaica. Any advice would be appreciated as to locations or resorts. Had been looking at Dreams La Ramona but have no idea where to look in Jamaica. Which is best if the plan is the vacation will be spent at the resort only for the all inclusive price?

Thanks!

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,632 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jamaica or La Romana, DR

We spent two weeks at Dreams La Romana and loved it. the rooms were nice and the food was excellent. Snorkeling right off the beach was good. Enough to keep you busy for a few hours on and off through out the day.

We love Jamaica. For off beach snorkeling i would recommend Jewel Runaway Bay. The beach is very nice nd the resort just went through a bit of a rehab. The pools are nice and the property is beautiful. Management is awesome. They often have specials on Groupon.

Another resort is Grand Lido. The resort itself needs A major rehab but the grounds are pretty, snorkelling is good off the rocks of the nude cove.

Townsend, MA
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jamaica or La Romana, DR

We loved Dreams La Romana - some of the best snorkeling in the DR (which is mediocre at best)

We have been to the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton in Jamaica and the snorkeling from shore was not very good. Yes, the water was calm but pretty murky while we were there. We have also been to Sandals Royal Caribbean and the snorkeling from shore was not good - but they do include free snorkel trips on their boat 3X a day. This fall, we are trying Sandals Grand Riviera in Ocho Rios.

Jamaica wins over The Dominican Republic for us because the water is potable and the airport has that lovely Club MoBay service - no waiting for hours in line.

That being said, the absolute best place for snorkeling from shore is Curacao!

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jamaica or La Romana, DR

If snorkeling is your main interest, I don't think either island would be in the top 10. Curacao, Bonaire or even Cozumel would be better options.

Centreville...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jamaica or La Romana, DR

I have been to Mauii and Cancun in the past. Looking towards the Caribbean for this vacation. Overall I am hoping for rest and relaxation, good food, decent snorkeling, complete all inclusive resort at an affordable price. I would be disappointed if I did not get some decent snorkeling in.

Townsend, MA
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jamaica or La Romana, DR

Yes, we are avid snorkelers and La Romana and Jamaica have mediocre snorkeling.

There are many more areas in the Caribbean with better - Curacao, Bonaire, the Caymans, Mexican Riviera. Sunscape in Curacao is an All Inclusive that we have been to many times. It is not one of the marble palaces found in the Dominican Republic, but you won't find those at all in Curacao. It prices out very similar to Dreams La Romana. It has phenomenal snorkeling right from the beach.

Rosedale, Canada
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jamaica or La Romana, DR

Historylight:

Roatan, Honduras has amazing snorkeling(from shore) and diving. Hubby and I were just there for our second visit in May . Are you from Centreville, NB? I am not sure how easy it is for you to get to Montreal but Sunwing has packages from there (and TO) to Roatan that are very reasonable. We are in BC so we have to fly via Houston, TX but totally worth the journey for us as it has the most amazing snorkeling we have ever done (other than Thailand, which due to the 20 hour flight was a once in a lifetime trip for us).

Agree with frodo about snorkeling in Jamaica. There is decent (not World Class) snorkeling to be found at Jewel Runaway Bay and also in Negril around Rutland Point and in front of the Grand Lido Negril resort c/o beach. The ocean at both is beautiful, clear turquoise blue. We have seen many different colours of starfish, eels, stingrays, trumpetfish , and even a nurse shark swam through in front of GLN when we were there. Others have reported seeing seahorses.

I have also been to Dreams, La Romana and found the snorkeling interesting early morning before the crowds came but nothing to write home about.

Akumal Bay, south of Playa Del Carmen , Mexico has lots of turtles and a variety of sealife but is being "loved to death" by the hordes of people arriving on excursions and now there is a new 480 room Secrets Resort going in on that tiny bay. I love Akumal so it makes me sad!

If interested check out the Sunwing packages to Roatan. Infinity Bay in particular is steps away from the brilliant underwater aquarium. Here is a link to the webcam at West Bay. Hope it works!

honduras/bay-islands/roatan/west-bay.html

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,632 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jamaica or La Romana, DR

I agree with Judy on Roatan. We wer there at about the same time as they were for out second trip as well. Though we did not do snorkeling this time only diving, the snorkeling is some of the best to be had.

We also have been to Akumal staying at Akumal Beach resort. WOW! the snorkeling when we were there was fantastic.

If you need any more info on any of the resorts there are plenty on here that have been to plenty of them....just ask.

Centreville...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jamaica or La Romana, DR

Thanks everyone for the advice. I am in Centreville, Michigan. The closest major airports are in Chicago and Detroit.

9. Re: Jamaica or La Romana, DR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2015, 05:16