We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does Sandals Charge for WiFi?

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,850 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Does Sandals Charge for WiFi?

A new CSA review does some comparing of the resort chains and mentions that Sandals charges guests extra for WiFi. I hadn't heard that before. Is that an inaccuracy? In all the comparison threads I've read I'd have thought it would come up before if it were true.

Calgary
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does Sandals Charge for WiFi?

RM: wifi is free for Club Sandals and Butler levels. Otherwise , it's $43 per week. Much cheaper than what Alex is reporting from SWO! And yes, we know, Couples provides free wifi for all the rooms.

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,850 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does Sandals Charge for WiFi?

I hadn't seen what Alex was reporting. I was just curious because i hadn't read it before. We've had to pay in Mexico, though that was true for all room categories. It's annoying, but not a deal breaker.

Chambersburg...
Level Contributor
2,728 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does Sandals Charge for WiFi?

The free wifi for Club & Butler Level has only been initiated within the past year or so. Before that, all guests had to pay for the wifi. I consider this a step in the right direction and hope eventually it will be available to all guests at no additional charge. Not for me of course. I don't want or need the internet while in Jamaica. But it would be nice to stomp out this common complaint among guests.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,927 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does Sandals Charge for WiFi?

The included wifi for club and butler is basic wifi, and, depending upon your needs, may not be strong enough. We have had no issues with email, Facebook, and Facetime with the basic, but I suppose if you needed to work while you were away (i.e. if you're a travel agent, for instance), you might want the stronger wifi. We were also able to upload pics without issue either, but none of this happens quickly. The cost of wifi per day is $14.99 per day or $42.99 for the week. Non-club or non-butler guests would receive the stronger wifi if they pay.

There is somewhere on property (usually near the main lobby) a computer that is free to use that will connect to Trip Advisor only. Before the wifi was included, my g/f and I messaged each other repeatedly thru TA during one of her stays. They had an issue that she was looking for an answer to, and I was able to research from home, and message her with the answers thru TA. So there are always little ways to get around things, I guess....LOL

Calgary
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does Sandals Charge for WiFi?

Good to know Winne! Our free wifi last year was fine for us...just wanted to check email and keep in touch via TA with people who were on the island at the same time we were. Unlike some, I think wifi at the resorts is a great tool, especially if you are on vacation without your young children. I can't imagine being out of touch if I had a baby at home!! Gotta love technology!!

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does Sandals Charge for WiFi?

OMg cc. So true. Knowing I can FaceTime my kids when I am without them is so worth the 48 per week. My baby was 3 the first year we went and I needed to see her. :). It made leaving them just a bit easier.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,927 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does Sandals Charge for WiFi?

And it's really fun to make your friends and family at home really jealous when you Facetime from the beach or pool when they're back home in the snow and cold in the middle of winter! :D

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does Sandals Charge for WiFi?

I do have to work when traveling and I paid 14.99 per day when I stayed at SMB and SGR in 2012.

I am surprised to read about SWO as Secrets has a free app guests can download to make free international calls and access free wifi at their MX resorts.

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,850 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does Sandals Charge for WiFi?

We too have always used WiFi to stay in touch with family at home. I, too, feel the need to keep in touch with kids/grandparents when away. Disconnecting for a week, unless my whole family is together, is not for me.

Calgary
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does Sandals Charge for WiFi?

Winne: LOL..that is just evil!! The main person I email from Jamaica is my dad (he's 86 and not in the best health). He recently moved from Virginia to Florida and lives right on the beach. He's not impressed with pics from Jamaica....we have dueling 'sunset' pictures!! Jamaica wins, of course. As others have said, keeping in touch with family is VERY important imo and if it's free or costs $15 a day, why not use the service? You can still be romantic and have a great time. I just don't get it but whatever floats your boat as us old-timers used to say! :)))

Edited: 10 August 2014, 01:43