We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salamanders in your room?

Prescott, AZ
Level Contributor
167 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Salamanders in your room?

Just wondering if any of the hotels feature salamanders in their rooms?? Just wondering...

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salamanders in your room?

Yup! :)

Actually, I don't think I've ever been at a resort in Jamaica where I didn't see at least some of those cute little chamelion lizards. You will rarely see them IN the rooms, but it does happen sometimes.

They are really quite cute, but very hard to get close to, as they are really timid and FAST. I used to actually catch them as a child when we vacationed in the Caribbean. A man in Barbados taught me how to make a small "lasso" out of the spine of a palm leave which you could slowly set in front of the lizard and then when it darted it would get trapped. I actually caught quite a few of them for a couple years. I treated them sort of like pets, but I always let them go.

........... sorry to go rambling off on a tangent there Ellen... You brought back some memories for me!

God bless you, MUCH respect to you.

Steve

alberta, canada
Level Contributor
348 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Salamanders in your room?

Hi, glad to hear that these little lizards are in Jamaica as well. We had them in our rooms in Mexico and one actually was our alarm clock every morning! It would wake us regularly with its little squeek in the morning. They really are quit cute and harmless!

Take Care Susanne

NJ
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salamanders in your room?

I just got back and we had a mini frog in our room about 3/4 of an inch. We saw it twice (or were there 2 of them.....?)

Hartford, WI
Level Contributor
546 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Salamanders in your room?

We've had frogs, lizards and even had a stray cat in our room.

baltimore, md
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Salamanders in your room?

Are they salamanders or geckos. I think there geckos. We had one in our room also. Scared the daylights out of me. Also had a huge bug (not sure what it was) but is was like 4 inces long crawling across our ceiling when I woke up on morning. I made my husband find it and kill it. This was at the Starfish. But remember there are mountains and jungle like conditions on one side of the resort and the beach on the other. After that nite I put towells at the bottom of our door which faced the mountain side. So its not from poor conditions its just natural in that environment.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
12,995 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salamanders in your room?

Welcome to the tropics :)

I like the little lizards too.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Salamanders in your room?

Why did u make your husband kill it!!!

You are in Jamaica not Ohio! Poor lizard.... they are harmless and more scared of you than u should be of them... chase them out if u feel scared of them. But respect the isle you are a visitor there... otherwise stay home...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Salamanders in your room?

Why did u make your husband kill it!!!

You are in Jamaica not Baltimore! The lizards are harmless and more scared of you than u should be of them... chase them out if u feel scared of them. But respect the isle you are a visitor there... otherwise stay home...

Prescott, AZ
Level Contributor
167 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Salamanders in your room?

Thanks - I'm not afraid of them - just remember them from Hawaii and was just wondering.... Looking forward to their little morning wake up calls if we have a visitor.

Haha....

baltimore, md
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Salamanders in your room?

He did'nt kill the lizard - just the bug. chill out!!!