We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st timer to Jamaica

Canada
Level Contributor
5,009 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
1st timer to Jamaica

We are once again able to purchase charter packages from Saskatchewan. The "best' deal is the Royal Decameron Montego Bay. The property reviews are not bad, how this area in relation to the rest of Jamaica

Runaway Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
3,674 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st timer to Jamaica

Hi TieDyeGuy... what is a charter package? Does this mean that you can only do a package deal or can you also just book a flight and get your accomodations sep.?

Personally, I don't care for MoBay for anything other than flying in and maybe doing some shopping. I think Royal D also has a property in Runaway Bay area? Not sure, but thought so. I find the Country-side more enjoyable and not nearly as dirty as the "big city" of MoBay... I also think there is more to do with regard to excursions as you head further East.

What does a "best" deal look like?

Canada
Level Contributor
5,009 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st timer to Jamaica

Hi Frostychic,

Charter package is a package deal with a direct flight. The direct flight is the important part for myself, as the connections from here are very poor to say the least. We have always been able to purchase air and accomodations, but it usually involved a overnight stop both ways, compared to a 51/2 hr flight. The deal is $2300.00cad pp for 14 days. Next best is allmost $1000.00 more.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st timer to Jamaica

Greetings my friend,

Although it's not my personal favourite area of Jamaica, for you in Regina, I think that's a very good deal with direct and you should go for it !

ENJOY Jamaica... you'll need to start looking for that NEXT charter package soon after you return !

Blessings and respect to you.

Steve

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st timer to Jamaica

Take it....RDMB is an excellent value place. Make sure you do two things: book an ocean BALC room and not the ocean VIEW. And do some off resort tours. Enjoy

Castlewood,VA
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st timer to Jamaica

I have only been to JA one time last July, and fell in love! I stayed at the RIU in Ocho Rios. Alot of people don't have good things to say about Ocho Rios or All Inclusives on these boards. If you are like me and don't leave the resort or beach any place in JA will be wonderful! My only intrest while on vacation are to relax! Have a great time!!!

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st timer to Jamaica

We spent about 3 days in MoBay last April, and I can honestly say it's been my least favorite place in Jamaica, but I guess it depends on what you're looking for. MoBay seemed very busy and congested...a city instead of a resort area....I wouldn't go to MoBay looking for a beach/resort type vacation. On the same trip, We stayed at the Royal Decameron Club Caribbean in Runaway Bay, which was decent...not a luxury resort, but I felt for the price it was a very good deal...good beaches, nice pools, great bars...the only thing I found really lacking was the food.

Everyone likes something different in their vacation, so do some research and see if MoBay seems like the place for you...there are some definite benefits...close to the airport, a good central location for additional excursions, lots of shopping, etc. Bottom line is that Jamaica's different resort areas offer very different vibes, you'll have to see which you think fits your personality and check it out! If I were going for two weeks, you can be sure I'd move around a bit...maybe a week in MoBay and a week in Negril?

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,248 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st timer to Jamaica

Hi fellow canadian. We are headed to the Riu Ocho Rios in Feb. I work with a girl who recently stayed in Montego Bay at the Sandals there. She told me that they could only leave the resort with a tour. They were not allowed to go out and explore or shop on their own. To me that would be a no go area if it isn't safe. We understand that Ocho Rios is not like that.

Are you travelling with Sunquest or Newest to get the charter from Regina? we from Edmonton have to go to Calgary to catch the Sunquest charter.

For all the americans who have to book their own trasportation to the resorts the "Charter" is one price booking for flights, resort, some meals if not all inclusive, all airport transfers and sometimes a tour or two. It is the Canadian way to travel.

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st timer to Jamaica

There are a lot of companies that do that here too Mamma...Direct charter flight, transfers to your hotel, lodging, food, etc. Often times a great way to go, but it's fun to get off on your own and do your thing too!

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st timer to Jamaica

sandals will say that because they get a kick back from their tours.

If you want white sugar sand for miles...Negril. If you want a City...Montego Bay or Ochi.

RDMB is a great starting point for anyone how has never been to JA. If you decide on RDMB I highly suggest a day trip to Negril. You can see one of the best beaches in the world and also the cliff divers. Enjoy

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st timer to Jamaica

I'm heading to this resort in March, If you do choose this resort please write a review when you return, I'd be very interested in reading it