We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choosing a New Kingston hotel

Cardiff, Wales
2 posts
Save Topic
Choosing a New Kingston hotel

Hi all,

Lots of helpful stuff on here. My wife and I are coming to Kingston in early July for a conference (held at UWI Mona) and there are designated conference hotels, mostly along Knutsford Blvd or in New Kingston. I have noted Courtleigh seems to be a favourite amongst all but unfortunately it is not one of these designated hotels. I seem to have narrowed it down to: Hilton, Pegasus, Altamont Court, and Knutsford Court. Are there any thoughts out there about which of these is best? Or the pros and cons? Since it is a work conference my costs are covered and thus the price is not as much an issue. One more thing - I intially though Hilton would be best, but it has some surprisingly bad reviews here on tripadvisor!

kingston
Level Contributor
604 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choosing a New Kingston hotel

Hi

misterHaych,

Enquire about the Mona Visitor's Lodge-small hotel on the Mona campus.The Pegasus is next door to the Hilton. I would go for the Hilton or Knutsford Court.The Hilton is being upgraded. Knutsford Court is smaller, but i think managed by the same group who does the Courtleigh.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choosing a New Kingston hotel

check on Terra Nova too... it's a little nicer and possibly a little quieter than most of those you've listed...

Chelle

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Choosing a New Kingston hotel

In recent times the Hilton has invested a lot in revamping the facilities and improving customer service. I would not have a problem in recommending the Hilton. Personally the Courtleigh is my fave but I see where you meantioned that it is not a part of the list. The previous post meantioned the Mona Visitors Lodge. Unfortunately if a conference is being held at UWI then chances are the Lodge will either be in use or be booked out early.

Cardiff, Wales
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Choosing a New Kingston hotel

Thanks all for these pointers. I was surprised to hear such negative reviews for the Hilton, but maybe will consider booking there. I would imagine that the Mona Visitors Lodge is being used - this is going to be a pretty big international conference. Actually, the Terra Nova, mentioned earlier, is also on the conference list of hotels. It looked very nice; one concern was that my wife is not attending the conference (with me for a visit afterwards to Negril) and might want somewhere a little more dynamic during the day - a smaller hotel like Knutsford or there might be a little boring(?). Terra Nova seemed very much on its own - another question I suppose is how does the area around the Terra Nova compare with the Knutsford strip?

p.s. one reason for wanting to stay at conference listed hotels is that from these they will be running shuttle buses to the conference every day.

kingston
Level Contributor
604 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Choosing a New Kingston hotel

MisterHaych,

There are several tours your wife can do, no need for her to be bored. Check with the Jamaica Tourist Board about tours.

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Choosing a New Kingston hotel

The Hilton, Pegasus and Courtleigh is located in the New Kingston business district. There is lots to do and the area is more central so getting around is quite easy. Terra Nova is located on Waterloo Road and is a more residential area although there is also a number of businesses in the area. Waterloo Road is home to at least four embassies including the Canadian and German so you can imagine that it is rather safe for tourists. Finding activities for you wife wont be a problem. I will recommend going to the Bob Marley Museum and Devon House on Hope Road. Port Royal Historic Town and Lime Cay (a popular offshore island) is also an option. New Kingston's hip strip in which the Hilton is located also has a wide array of Nite Life ranging from hip clubs to jazz or sports bars. Trust me, you can never be bored in Kingston. If your wife is more into nature then the Hollywell National Park located in the Blue Mountains is only 45 minutes away from the University of the West Indies.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Choosing a New Kingston hotel

Altamont altamont altamont.

I've stayed at all of them and for us it has to be the Altamont. Just a friendly family vibe. Clean and well appointed. A place where you will get to know everyones name. And a great value for money. Its central to everything too.

I always choose this place as it just feels like home to return.

Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Level Contributor
233 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Choosing a New Kingston hotel

Bissey, I've stayed at them all too and I agree with you. Altamont, Altamont, Altamont ! :)

MisterH, If your wife likes intimate and cozy, Altamont Court. Or Terra Nova which is a bit more classy.

Pegasus and Hilton are large and impersonal with Hilton having a bit more polish. Knutsford Court is a bit off the track and very boring to hang out during the day.

There's lots for your wife to do in Kingston while you're at the conference. Forget the Knutsford Strip, lots of fast food joints and not much more. Things she could easily do on her own with a driver from the hotel include: visit some art galleries, shop til she drop, take a trip to Craighton Coffee Estate and then stop in at Strawberry Hill for lunch, tour Devon House and have lunch at Norma's, and if she's a reggae fan visit the Bob Marley museum and have breakfast or lunch at Hot Pot for great Jamaican food.

Have a great trip !

Elise

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Choosing a New Kingston hotel

I am traveling to Kingston, JM on May 11 staying for 6 nights at the Hilton. I will posted my thoughts on the Hilton as soon as possible.

kingston
Level Contributor
604 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Choosing a New Kingston hotel

The Mansion at Devon House is closed for renovation, the grounds are still open to the public.