We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hellshire Beach

Texas
Destination Expert
for Port Antonio
Level Contributor
970 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Hellshire Beach

Does Hellshire beach have restroom facilities?

Any other recommendations for beaches in Kingston?

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,005 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hellshire Beach

I read that it does, sammy, in the beach park area which has a fee (and changing rooms, picnic tables etc), though I have not been. A somewhat quieter but nearby alternative to Hellshire is Fort Clarence Beach park.

If open (it was closed for a bit due to the restroom facilities issue, in fact), Lime Key is where Kingstonians with boats like to go and anchor for the day on weekends. If you don't have your own boat you can pay to ride out on one from Y Knot in Port Royal and perhaps Morgan's Harbor as well. I don't know the restroom situation there now, apparently boat owners have their own so...

Heading east from Kingston there are several beginning around Bull Bay, but i have only been to the one at Lyssons, where Golden Shores hotel is. You can use their beach as a non-guest if you buy something from the bar/restaurant.

On my bucket list: Holland Bay beach out past Morant Point...

Texas
Destination Expert
for Port Antonio
Level Contributor
970 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hellshire Beach

Thanks Liz, can hopefully check out both Fort Clarence and Hellshire.

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hellshire Beach

Hellshire is more for food and watching local life while Fort Clarence is for a quiet chilled sunbathing and swimming experience.

Every Jamaican knows the reputation of Hellshire seafood. It's regarded as the best place for Jamaican style fried fish, festival and bammy. You can also can get fried lobster, steamed fish etc. The fish is daily catch and you get to choose your fresh fish from an ice cooler/igloo right there by the kitchen of the shack you choose. You are charged by the weight of the fish but be sure to haggle a bit on price to get the best deal.

Fort Clarence carries a cover charge of about us$3 equivalent and is a favourite with many Jamaicans, visitors an expats. Adjacent is Waves Beach bar and The Board Walk beach bar. There are parties held frequently (mostly Sunday afternoons at these beaches while over by Hellshire local sound systems play on Sundays and the neighbouring Sugarmans beach is a frequent venue for all you can drink parties (equivalent us$10 cover). On public holidays Hellshire is super crowded with locals.

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
8,593 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hellshire Beach

wow scottygeneral...you make me wanna go there right now!

PEACE!

5. Re: Hellshire Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2014, 05:18